Search for content in message boards

Norwegian ancestor - Tamsen/Tammsen

Replies: 2

Norwegian ancestor - Tamsen/Tammsen

Posted: 21 Jul 2013 9:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi there,
I am looking for help in tracing a Norwegian ancestor for a friend. The information that I have so far is as follows.

My friend was born in Cardiff and her parents surnames were Carr and Tamsen, although the spelling of Tamsen in UK online databases is either Tamsen or Tammsen. Her Norwegian ancestor is her maternal grandfather. His marriage in 1904 was registered in the name Conlegus Tammsen, although when he died in the Cardiff area he was using the forename Cornelius.

Conlegus was a merchant seaman, and there used to be a Norwegian Church in Cardiff because of the numbers of seaman who regularly visited the port.

In 1911, his wife, Mary is alone. Presumably Conlegus was at sea. Their eldest child wasn't born until 1918.

I can't find any UK census record for him in 1901, but have found a possible 1891 record, where a C Thomasson was recorded and a 'boy' crew member on the ship Columbers which was docked in Leith, Scotland. He is just recorded as being 16 and from Norway. That ties in well with his death registration in 1947 at aged 72.

My friend spent a few hours in Bergen on a cruise and managed to ask local folk if they recognised the surname of Tamsen/Tammsen and the response was that it was well known in the area.

She has a first cousin, who has had her DNA tested, which she was told showed she was "55% Norwegian".

My friend would love to no more about her Norwegian ancestry. Can anyone give me clues as to where I might start enquiring to see if I can at least get her started on her search?

Thank you

Geoff Dunbar
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Geoff6751 21 Jul 2013 3:36PM GMT 
Brian Gaber 23 Jul 2013 4:29PM GMT 
4vivi 23 Jul 2013 11:35PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions