Search for content in message boards

Farmhand -vs- Crofter -vs- Farmer -vs- Owner?

Replies: 12

Farmhand -vs- Crofter -vs- Farmer -vs- Owner?

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 1:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Dec 2012 1:05PM GMT
Hello, all.

For the benefit of myself and others on this forum, can someone help explain in layman's terms the differences? When can you tell if the family owns the farm or just works on it?

Farmhand: I don't know the Swedish term...maybe "Drangon." I believe the farmhand is just that...someone who may or may not live on the farm, doesn't own anything, and is a laborer.

Crofter: I believe the term for the croft is "Torpe." Does the head of household have a specific name? The family lived and farmed a small part of the overall farm and was self sustaining for the family, as well as, providing additional crops for the farm owner.

Farmer: Is the term "Ag?" How is this head of household positioned? Does he have any ownership when farming? Or just wages and housing?

Owner of farm: I believe the term is "Bond." Is this an abbreviated term? If the head of household owned the farm, was it heriditary? Did the oldest son take over the farm? It seems so.

Now what happens when a farm owner moves from one farm to another? Does he sell the old and purchase the next? And if the head dies, does his wife then own it?

There are a lot of questions here. But I think it will be quite beneficial to get this organized. Also, I'm sure there are there other terms with definitions I'm missing. Variations on the spelling would be good to know.

I appreciate any and all help, and thank all of you in advance.

Regards,

Eric Johnson, California
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
EricJohnson60... 16 Dec 2012 8:03PM GMT 
ghagberg163 16 Dec 2012 10:57PM GMT 
EricJohnson60... 17 Dec 2012 12:34AM GMT 
bohjohan 17 Dec 2012 7:49AM GMT 
JOBaouab 17 Dec 2012 5:45PM GMT 
EricJohnson60... 18 Dec 2012 2:09AM GMT 
EricJohnson60... 18 Dec 2012 2:13AM GMT 
JOBaouab 18 Dec 2012 2:29AM GMT 
EricJohnson60... 18 Dec 2012 4:36AM GMT