Search for content in message boards

word "idiot" in Swedish records

Replies: 4

word "idiot" in Swedish records

Posted: 26 Oct 2013 8:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
My great grandmother immigrated from Sweden with her two daughters in 1892. I have been able to access a few records from the Swedish Church records and it seems to me that she had one or two daughters before she got married (if she ever legally did ). I have found no marriage records and see her living in her parents' home on a few documents with the children, no father listed. She traveled with a brother and only her two children in 1892 to America with no husband with her. Her "husband" was a poor fisherman and they state their date of marriage is 1889 on US records, like the US census. Her exit record in 1892 from Fjaras, Halland, Sweden says "gift" after her name which indicates she was married or said she was married.

Here is the mystery: on her second daughter's birth records from 1891 it says the word "idiot" written rather boldly. Both my translator and a Swede told me that "idiot" means "idiot" in Swedish and English . So the mystery is: was this word a judgmental word written by the pastor who kept the records? I don't believe this child had a mental handicap and she was less than a year old when this was recorded. The word "idiot" is written after the mother. I know that the mother was "disinherited" by the parents and that they were well off. How would you interpret this word?

I am sure my ancestor is VERY unhappy with me for trying to explore her background (she is long gone...). She made sure that she never put down her village/parish for anyone to see when she arrived in America.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dgawell75 26 Oct 2013 2:12PM GMT 
Carlib09 26 Oct 2013 4:00PM GMT 
isulv 26 Oct 2013 4:47PM GMT 
dgawell75 26 Oct 2013 7:18PM GMT 
isulv 27 Oct 2013 4:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions