Search for content in message boards

Goodman family of Demarara, early 1800s

Replies: 17

Re: Goodman family of Demarara, early 1800s

Posted: 31 Dec 2007 7:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Goodman
Hi Sally,

I'm excited to hear from you! I would love to learn more about the girls and their family.

To answer your questions, I came across the girls during my research of the convent's school, located in York, as part of my Master's degree. Opened in 1686 to cater to the aristocracy, the school began to attract a growing number of middle class students from around the globe during the 18th and early 19th centuries, including your three relatives. They were, however, the only ones from Demarara (so I was very surprised to hear that there were more girls!). Most of the foreign students at the school were daughters of catholic merchants from the West Indies, Spain, Portugal, and France (and a dozen other locations), though the majority of the student body were British nationals.

My current research while focusing on the school will eventually also encompass the networks established by merchants and industrialists who sent their daughters to the school in the 18th-19th centuries. So, long story short, I'm trying to reconsitute as many of the foreign families as I can so I can track their family and business connections. Unfortunately, I've been hindered by the fact that, in most cases, the school's account books do not include the names or occupations of the girls' parents. I'm having to do a lot of chasing to make a little progress - hence my excitement in getting your post.

What a wonderful way to end 2007 - I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Kathy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
historyn 12 Apr 2007 4:28AM GMT 
tikwis_b 26 Apr 2007 7:49AM GMT 
historyn 26 Apr 2007 1:22PM GMT 
SDeFauw 15 Dec 2008 3:01PM GMT 
tikwis_b 16 Dec 2008 3:57AM GMT 
SDeFauw 31 Dec 2007 11:42PM GMT 
historyn 1 Jan 2008 2:03AM GMT 
SDeFauw 1 Jan 2008 8:25PM GMT 
historyn 1 Jan 2008 11:16PM GMT