Search for content in message boards

McLaren family in Demerara, Guyana.

Replies: 11

Re: McLaren family in Demerara, Guyana.

Posted: 29 Jun 2013 3:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
This is so interesting. Are you sure he was deceased in 1844 as my Peter was born in 1837. Didnt you say his son was born in 1862?
A man named Peter Miller Watson was the co-owner of the Plantation called Zeeburg with Alexander McLaren, so that would make a definite fit. This Peter Watson was a slaver, plantation owner, and sugar exporter.

My Great Great Great Grandfather Alexander Mclaren was born in Killin, Scotland, but went as a teenager to Demerara to make his fortune. He started out working on plantations for other but eventually owned two. He was married twice, first to Anne Lockett and had one child. Ann died in childbirth and we dont know anything about her. His second wife Fatima was said to be a free black woman, (at least at the time they married) and may have come from Jamaica. Therefor the children were half black. Alexander moved back to Scotland around age 50 and purchased two estates. John Patrick and Fatima stayed in Demerara to look after the estates there and they shipped sugar to Scotland. Doanld stayed in Scotland and was a ship captain. Mary married a doctor called John Coppleston Baker and they lived in Liverpool. Isabella married a Mr Smith and eventually their family moved to Australia. Annie married a lawyer named Alexander Philip and they moved to Canada. Annie is my ancestor. I am going to email you a few photos, one of Alexander, one of Fatima, one of Annie and one of Mary. Annie and Mary would be sisters to Peter. Did your Peter look like he may be part black? The one of Alexander Baker would be a first cousin to your John. (if this is the right family)
Cathy
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
woiiftm 1 Jul 2010 9:11PM GMT 
CaNorthgraves 25 Jun 2013 7:23PM GMT 
woiiftm 26 Jun 2013 7:33PM GMT 
CaNorthgraves 26 Jun 2013 10:42PM GMT 
woiiftm 29 Jun 2013 5:52PM GMT 
CaNorthgraves 29 Jun 2013 9:09PM GMT 
woiiftm 2 Jul 2013 9:13PM GMT 
woiiftm 2 Jul 2013 9:15PM GMT 
CaNorthgraves 3 Jul 2013 7:25PM GMT 
johngreateau 15 Jul 2013 3:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions