Dutch Guiana...trail ends?

Replies: 3

Dutch Guiana...trail ends?

Posted: 25 Aug 2013 10:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Aug 2013 10:02PM GMT
Surnames: geitel, quietal, quietel
Hi All,
I've recently started (trying to) building our family tree. I have always been fascinated with my Grandpa from South America. Mack William McCulloh (known as Sonny)passed in 2006, he was born December 28, 1930 Dutch Guiana.

My Great Grandfather (Samuel Humbert McCulloh) was from White Plain, Illinois....somehow he ended up in Dutch Guiana after a stent in Los Angeles, CA.

At some point he was in Paramaribo and came back to States in 1931 and then returned to Dutch Guiana. (We are unsure of how long he lived there.)

What I do know is that he was either a coffee plantation owner or administrator. We have awesome photo's of my grandfather as a child holding alligators, photo's of typhoon damage to their town and then pictures of a beautiful home- that might have been their residence.

He fell in love with a young women 18 years younger than him... she was Arawak Indian- Theodora Antoinette Soemitra Queitel. We are unsure of the spelling of her last name. She was born abt 1905.

They returned to the States (entire family) in June 29, 1937.

I would love to fill in the gaps- what was her last name, what were her parents names? My Grandpa always told us his mother was an Indian Princess and was disowned for marrying a white man. (I am not sure if she was a princess.)

Curious how a boy from Illinois ended up in Surinam?

When he came back to the states by 1940- he was a cement finisher with Works Progress Administration building city sidewalks?

Any direction is appreciated.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
linkstopast 26 Aug 2013 4:01AM GMT 
genealogybook... 27 Aug 2013 3:46AM GMT 
linkstopast 30 Aug 2013 3:25AM GMT 
genealogybook... 30 Aug 2013 6:11AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions