Search for content in message boards

SANDBACH & TINNE

Replies: 15

Re: SANDBACH & TINNE

Posted: 4 Oct 2013 7:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Risien
Hi Paul

George W. Risien was my gt-gt-grandfather and I have quite a bit of information about him plus a photo of him with his family (I think, this has yet to be confirmed). He retired to Southsea and died there in 1903.

I'm not sure how long GW lived at Cathcart Hill: I have a copy of a Power of Attorney dated 29 Jan 1891 which gives his address as 8 Cathcart Hill, but they had moved to Southsea by 1901, and his own will, dated 7 Aug 1884, states his address as 17 Maitland Park Villas, Haverstock Hill. So that would give a window of up to 17 years living at Cathcart Hill.

GW was a sugar-plantation engineer, and in the London Gazette of 11 Dec 1874 he was granted a patent for an improved method of extracting and crystallising sugar. He may sound like a fine upstanding citizen, but had his faults: in 1854 he was named as the father of his cousin's baby, which may be why he was sent out to Guiana. But he might then have had a clandestine family there before returning to England to marry in 1864 - there are "brown" Risiens in New York originating from British Guiana who claim to be descended from a "white sea captain", and GW's father captained a merchant ship.

I would love to have a photo of 8 Cathcart Hill for my records! And I will ask the owner of the family photo whether he minds me sending you a copy.

Regards,
Lisa Booth
Sale, Victoria, Australia
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
johngreateau 2 Jul 2010 5:48PM GMT 
yertchuk 6 Jul 2010 3:03PM GMT 
grosehodge 21 Apr 2013 3:28PM GMT 
yertchuk 4 Oct 2013 1:38PM GMT 
grosehodge 4 Oct 2013 7:03PM GMT 
malikalnasir 24 Nov 2010 9:39PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions