Search for content in message boards

Family Search

Replies: 5

Re: Family Search - Yearwood

Posted: 7 Jul 2014 3:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Jul 2014 4:23PM GMT
Hi Maggie, Check this web site out http://www.vc.id.au/tb/bgcolonistsC.html. It shows a Joseph Dowding Claxton marrying a Sarah Jemima Yearwood with 9 MAY 1818 being the publishing of the Banns of Matrimony. In the very next line is a Richard Yearwood Claxton marrying a Jessie Ann Quarliss on 24 MAR 1847, Essequibo. The tendency in many families was then for the maiden name of the mother of a son to be sometimes carried as a second name by a son. This may be the case of Richard Yearwood Claxton since it is a bit of a coincidence for a (Joseph) Claxton to marry a (Sarah) Yearwood and then within one birth generation of the marriage in 1818 to have another unrelated male carry both names within his name as does Richard Yearwood Claxton when he marries at about 28 years old (assuming he is Sarah Yearwood's son and is born about 1819) on 24 March 1847. I am related to Yearwood's who were born in Essequibo, but I have not been able yet to link them to Sarah Jemima Yearwood. My Yearwood Great Great grandfather was Thomas collier Yearwood born in Exeter, Devon in 1824, who came to British Guiana and had 3 sons J.C Yearwood (b 1860), Thomas Clarke Yearwood (b 1861-62) and Willard Roland Yearwood (b1864), in Bartica, Essequibo or thereabouts. Prior to the May 1818 Banns date of Sarah's marriage to Joseph Claxton, there was a Richard Farnum Yearwood in British Guiana who ran a boat building and ironmongery business in Water St, Georgetown. I do not know yet if they were related. Richard Farnum Yearwood died on 26 March1824 in BG and was probably born somewhere in the 1760's give or take 20 years either way. He married a Dorothea Welch on 7 July 1794. Other records show that a girl called Georgina Louisa Yearwood of Plantation Windsor Castle, married a William Macfarlane on 19 Nov 1874 and her father is listed as R. F. Yearwood Esq. Since Richard Farnum Yearwood died in 1824, Georgina would have had to be at least 50 years or older if he was the R. F. Yearwood listed as her father. Not impossible but unlikely. Perhaps Richard Farnum had a son also named R. F. Yearwood who was her father, or it may be a totally different Yearwood.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
HDeppert1913 7 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Susan Gardner Frye 7 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
MaggieMew50 5 Dec 2007 4:40AM GMT 
LeithYearwood 7 Jul 2014 9:58PM GMT 
e_brake56 27 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Terry Greathead 3 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic