Search for content in message boards

British subjects born in British Guiana mid 1800's

Replies: 31

Re: Demerara to NZ

Posted: 24 Jul 2014 6:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,

My name is Jordan Faint and I have posted a few messages here in the past regarding Joseph Louis butcher, I am his descendant through his daughter Alice Ada who was my great great grandmother. I thought I would share this interesting piece of information my DNA can tell us about Joseph Louis butcher. Having Joseph Louis butcher's photo and what I have read about Guyana I thought he must be of mixed race but which could he have been of Indian descent (as their was indian slaves in the colonies) or African but the more I read and looked at his photo I believed he was of African descent. I done some research online and came across genetic DNA testing to find out your genetic composition so I went ahead and ordered one to find out what type of DNA Joseph and myself shared. I have recently done a DNA ancestry test and to find out my genetic composition and found on my father's side (who is Joseph's 2 great grandson) I have 0.4% West African and 0.1% sub Saharan African so therefore I can get from this that Joseph would of been of West African descent and a parent or grandparent of Joseph may have been a slave taken from West African during the slave trade. It would be good if other descendants of Joseph Louis Butcher could get this test done to help confirm this theory if we all share this common DNA marker from West Africa. It would be really good if a male line descendant of Joseph Louis butcher could do it as it would show what his Y chromosome was and where his forefathers hailed from, say if it was African we could definitely say his father was of African descent but if it was British his father was of British descent and his mother was of African descent. The test also breaks down what countries your ancestors came from. The website is 23andme.com, it is $99 to buy the kit and about $100 for postage to you and back to a lab in America. Well worth the investment as it can put to bed many questions about where your ancestors actually came from. Also I would love to get into contact with Liz and Les if possible.

thanks,

Jordan.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jordanfaint 18 Nov 2012 6:57PM GMT 
Linda Johnson 2 Jun 2013 11:25AM GMT 
deputydog172 6 Jun 2013 10:24PM GMT 
Linda Johnson 7 Jun 2013 1:58AM GMT 
cobrown2000 26 Aug 2013 10:31PM GMT 
wendell wilso... 13 Nov 2013 6:26PM GMT 
cobrown2000 28 Dec 2013 12:27AM GMT 
eliza florend... 27 Dec 2013 1:37PM GMT 
LFinch__ 19 Jul 2014 3:36AM GMT