Search for content in message boards

WATSON in Guyana

Replies: 12

Re: WATSON in Guyana

Posted: 17 Aug 2012 3:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am curious to know more about the Watsons who went to America. I posted earlier about my great-grandparents, William Henry Watson and Daisy Muriel Francis. Since then, I have learned from their only surviving son that the sugar estate was actually called Albion. William lived from 1877 to 1945, and was the overseer and also the local Justice of the Peace. He was illegitimate (this I had already known), and according to my great-uncle, the parentage of William Watson was not discussed as my great-grandmother did not like talk of the scandal. However, my great-grandmother eventually took three of her daughters in a room, sat them down, and told them that William's mother was called "Miss Gore", and that she was a disgrace to her family as, in addition to my great-grandfather, she also had two other illegitimate sons by two other men. As far as the father of William, apparently it was more commonly known, that he (the father) was meant to be the son of Henry Watson, who at one time was the administrator of British Guiana. From the sounds of it, some of Henry Watson's relatives knew about William Watson, as 10 or 15 years ago my great-uncle wrote a memoir of his childhood in British Guiana, and he wrote this:

"As I think I mentioned earlier, my father received a letter of enquiry from a firm of Solicitors in London in 1934/35. The Solicitors were searching for the rightful and legitimate heir to a substantial estate in Britain, who eventually turned out to be my father’s half-brother in Long Island. On the occasion of my parents’ wedding that half-brother sent them a wedding present of a very large carpet which covered most of the central drawing room of our Albion house. But my mother’s insistence of silence prevailed and communication between the two families ceased."

My great-uncle told me (and he also wrote in his memoir) that in around 1974, he was reading the Globe and Mail (a Toronto newspaper) and on the front page of the business section was a group of businessmen visiting from the United States, and one of them was the spitting image of his father, and when he looked down at the name, it was Watson. However, my great-uncle never followed up on it. I actually had a half-baked idea in my head to look up the Globe and Mail archives and see if I could find the picture (I've already been through the first half of January, 1974, and realized it will be a big task!).

Sorry this post got so long, but I would be interested in any American Watsons who came from BG who might have heard anything about this story.

Thanks!
Nicola
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mikestoker1 16 May 2012 8:03PM GMT 
ldurban77 12 Aug 2012 1:37PM GMT 
cobrown2000 17 Aug 2012 9:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic