Search for content in message boards

MEERTEN OR MEERTENS

Replies: 8

Re: MEERTEN OR MEERTENS

Posted: 6 Feb 2014 1:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you Marcel, but I too have done a lot of research of Anthony and Johanna and the family as a whole. In Amsterdam is a living descendant of this family and he kindly sent me copies of the portraits he had hanging on his wall in his home. I have a thick binder of information on this family and of Guyana and the connections and references as well. There are many old Guyana newspapers in the British Archives that have many mentions of Anthony.
Anthony and Johanna lived in a very posh area in Bristol when they came the last time to England and they were extremely wealthy. They both died and are buried in Bristol, England. I have the burial records for all the Meertens buried at this site. Unfortunately during the second world war the church and church yard was badly damaged and all has been removed. There are no stones left either. A new church is on the grounds. My mother in 1935 visited the church and the graves and said all the stones were there at that time. Sad that wars happen to damage the past and the future. Meertens owned many plantations as did his sons. One of the sons took over a home in the Netherlands that was owned by Anthony originally. Today all that is left standing are two tall brick pillars (or so I believe). I have the name somewhere in my binders.

I am still trying to connect my (actually 2x great grandfather) (I think I said 3x at one point). I still feel there is a connection. Many thanks for sending me your email. Oh, yes Clifton is where Anthony died. Their wills are on the British Archives site as well. I have copies. There is a third will of a Jacobus who is connected to Anthony but the will is Dutch and hard to read. I think it may be Anthony father's or Uncle? Not sure. Cheers, Mrs. Davies.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
vdavies 10 Aug 2004 1:53AM GMT 
Carole_Reynol... 23 Feb 2005 7:26PM GMT 
vdavies 23 Feb 2005 9:33PM GMT 
day_j7 4 Sep 2011 9:33PM GMT 
Grams68 5 Sep 2011 1:45AM GMT 
lareinefaye 15 Jul 2012 4:54PM GMT 
Grams68 16 Jul 2012 1:31AM GMT 
M Knol 5 Feb 2014 4:37PM GMT 
Grams68 6 Feb 2014 8:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions