Search for content in message boards

De Vos (Eduard, Petrus), DeMeyer (Stephanie). Trying to trace...

Replies: 1

De Vos (Eduard, Petrus), DeMeyer (Stephanie). Trying to trace...

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 7:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: De Vos, Devos, DeMeyer, Davis, Vos
I am looking for any information anyone may have on a Eduard De Vos and Stephanie (first name spelled different ways in different records) De Vos (née DeMeyer). Eduard was born around 1854 and Stephanie was born 13 Aug 1858. They arrived in New York (departing from Antwerp, Belgium) on 21 Apr 1880 with their oldest son Petrus, who was born 4 Jul 1878. They later lived in Ashtabula County, Ohio and went by Edward, Stephanie and Peter Davis.

I believe they spoke German, and were listed as being born in Germany in the 1910 US census. However, in the 1880 census (in which their last name was listed as 'Vos' - every census after this has the americanized 'Davis') and later censuses, plus Stephanie's death record, Belgium is listed as their place of birth, and my aunt remembers being told this side of the family was Belgian AND German. I have no more specific information about what region/town they came from or where they were born. I'd like to find more information and trace them out of the United States, but I'm not sure where to go from here.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
k_ajohnston 6 Mar 2012 2:59AM GMT 
vanBatenburg 5 May 2013 2:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic