Search for content in message boards

Is my last name really de grendele?

Replies: 1

Is my last name really de grendele?

Posted: 26 Mar 2012 10:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: de grendel, degrendele, DeGrendel, De Grendele, DeBlauwe, De Blauwe
I have always spelled my last name "DeGrendel".
Since I have been attempting to trace my family tree back to my Belgium roots, I am now beginning to question whether it was changed by my great-great grandfather from "De Grendele".
I found a ship record from the Belgenland which arrived in New York on April 28, 1893 with my great-great grandfather Charles De Grendele (born Jan 1870) and my great-great grandmother Marie De Blauwe (born September 1866).
All the data I have since thier arrival to the US spells their last name De Grendel.
US Censuses, their children's birth/death certificates, wedding records, etc.
Then I found another ship record from 1905 which brought a Marie De Grendele to New York. Her destination was her brother Charles De Grendele's house in Detroit and it lists my great-great grandfather's address. This makes me think she was my great-great grandfather's sister and she also spelled it "De Grendele".
Charles De Grendele and Marie De Blauwe's last residence was Beveren, Belgium.
Charle's sister, Marie De Grendele's last residence in 1904 was Zwevezele which I understand to be in West-Flanders.
Does anyone have any information on my ancestors? Any websites I can search, etc?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
degrer012 27 Mar 2012 4:12AM GMT 
hildegarde gu... 10 Dec 2012 6:54AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic