Search for content in message boards

Alsace - Census Book Lookup - Kuhn family

Replies: 15

Re: Alsace - Census Book Lookup - Kuhn family

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 10:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Steve,

Good to hear from you. Please don't tear up any of your research yet since I have found that Census records are not always accurate and I think we will be able to help each other. Any family trees I have posted during my searches must be hugely mixed up and will eventually need to be changed.

Firstly, I hope I've got it right that your Grandmother Jane is my Grandfather Alexis' sister. Secondly, I have not been able to continue with my family history for over a year and it will take a while for me to update as much as I have found to pass on - nothing definite which is why I have not been back in touch with Mary recently. However I can confirm that the 1911 Census you are quoting is incorrect since it has left off my mother Charlotte, probably because she had the same name as her mother. It also gives my Aunt Louisa's birth date as 1906 which was actually my mother's birth date. My Aunt Louisa was born one year before. My Uncles Joseph and George were the youngest and my Uncle Bob may well have been a Charles Robert but no Susan is known to me - so far.

The Lomax family name is my mother's side. Her parents were Alexis Kuhn, born 1879 and Charlotte Lomax, born 1880. Since so many names are duplicated and passed through the families it takes a lot of cross-checking to find proof.

Alexis Kuhn Senior, born 1851 had at least three brothers - Titus, Charles and George. What I was in the midst of checking in 2011 was the link with Canada which initially brings a new light on the Kuhn family leaving Alsace. It is possible that Robert and Mary Eva Kuhn left Alsace with all of their family, arriving first in Quebec, then moving south to settle in Ontario. I have yet to trace their travels accurately but hope to get back to this again as soon as I can. Having discovered that Alexis Senior appears to have married a divorced Margaret Duggan, whose maiden name was O'Dwyer, this accounts for the difficulty I had in tracing the O'Dwyer family. It is also possible that Margaret is the O'Dwyer born in Newfoundland of Irish parents but not quite sure if I have it correct yet. It is possible that Alexis Senior and Margaret Duggan came to England together from Canada and married here. Of course, as soon as I have new information I will be back in touch with you and Mary again. Meanwhile, you might find it interesting to continue with the Canadian connection since this seems to be the beginning of our family roots on record so far.

Happy seeking, best wishes, Brenda
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
marymccarthy1... 30 Sep 2009 9:44AM GMT 
B_Price57 10 Sep 2011 5:28PM GMT 
marymccarthy1... 14 Sep 2011 12:09PM GMT 
B_Price57 14 Sep 2011 9:00PM GMT 
marymccarthy1... 15 Sep 2011 3:07PM GMT 
B_Price57 15 Sep 2011 5:22PM GMT 
Stephen_Weekl... 20 Jan 2013 1:15AM GMT 
B_Price57 21 Jan 2013 5:32PM GMT 
Stephen_Weekl... 21 Jan 2013 10:02PM GMT 
B_Price57 23 Jan 2013 8:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions