Search for content in message boards

Gutteran of Nordhaussen

Replies: 1

Gutteran of Nordhaussen

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 4:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gutterau, Gutteran, Hutteran, Hatteran, Eggelsmann
I am researching my 3rd great grandmother's family.

Her name was Rosa Gutterau. I have seen her last name spelled four different ways in documentation. I have seen it spelled Gutterau, Gutteran, Hutteran, Hatteran.

I have a really strong hunch that she was from the Alsace region. According to her death information and census information, her father was French and her mother was German. It also says that she was from Nordhaussen. We even have a cookie recipe that has been passed down through the family for generations that is a traditional Alsatian recipe as I've recently discovered.

Rosa was born 13 Aug 1857 and arrived in the US on 14 Jul 1882. She was married in Chicago on 17 Jul 1882 and died 27 Apr 1932. She MAY have had sisters or cousins named Lizette and Ida, however I have not been able to solidly link them.

I have a lot of information about Rosa after she arrived in the United States. I have census records from 1900 through 1930, I have her marriage and death records. I have her children's birth and death information. I have her husband's (Wilhelm Eggelsmann)naturalization and death records. I even have city directories indicating that she was a Midwife in Chicago for many years.

I am trying to find out who her parents were, where she was born, etc. Any assistance that can be given would be appreciated.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jmkclyde 10 Mar 2013 10:00PM GMT 
TimGruber55 11 Mar 2013 10:37AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions