Search for content in message boards

Maillard, Curie marriage, moved Hautrhin-Mt. Eaton, OH in 1840s

Replies: 3

Maillard, Curie marriage, moved Hautrhin-Mt. Eaton, OH in 1840s

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 6:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: mallard (Maillard), Curie
I'm curious about some confusion on the censuses that have the daughters of the following born in France at some points and in America at some points, also some conusion about when they emigrated to the United States is thrown in (although that could be due to being naturalized a few years after the came)

My gggg-grandparents, who married in France it seems, are:
Pierre (Peter) Mallard or Mailard, 10/11/1815(Hautrhin)-10/3/1880(Mt. Eaton, OH)
and
Susan Curie (b. France 5/21/1822, d. Paint Township, OH, 1/1/1911 (did I miss the surname or is it not in the lists here?)

They had 2 daughters, Susan (b. 1842) and Louisa (1844-7/6/1918); the latter married Alcide Blanchard, who emigrated to the U.S. in the 1850s from an area around the French-Swiss border.

I suppose part of the confusion could be if one was born in France & the other int eh U>S. and depending on who was asked, the census taker thought both were born int he same place, but anyway...

I'm just curious when they came over and any other information on the families, especially if the Mallard/Maillards in question were Huguenots as we suppose; I've read where a bunch of that surname came over a century earlier, but it's possible these stayed because, living so near the border, they could go into the more tolerant Germany when they needed. (Which we've determined Alcide's family likely did, too.)

Susan's parents appear to have been Jake Curie and Louise Frederick - no information on them but the German last name shows she is like from Alsace or that area, too, given the disputes over it over the centuries.

Pierre's parents are uncertain. Without funds for a paid membership I find little clues showing a Suzanne who could be the mother, but also a Marguerite listed in the same locality in the US in the 1850 census.

Any ideas are appreciated, but just to get this far back is fun!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Fowler5000 28 Mar 2013 12:35AM GMT 
Jeanleon39 21 Apr 2013 8:45AM GMT 
Fowler5000 22 Apr 2013 12:20AM GMT 
Fowler5000 26 Apr 2013 12:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic