Search for content in message boards

Dutreix in France

Replies: 3

Re: Dutreix in France

Posted: 4 May 2009 1:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Do you speak French?
http://www.archives-hautevienne.com/accueil/index.php4 is the home page for the archives.
http://www.archives-hautevienne.com/guide_chercheur/serie.ph... is the list of civil registrations on microfilm for the various communes.

Jean Marie Mathurin Theophile Dutreix. b (1833 or 1836?) in Limoges,
The indexes for the commune of Limoges from 1833-1842 are on 5 Mi 85/10 This is where you need to start. The birth entry should be indexed under DUTREIX. From there when you have the reference (year) you’ll be able to find the right film for the actual register. Then you look the entry up. The entry will be in handwritten French. 1830s should not be TOO bad but it’s not the same as modern French, entirely (the handwriting especially): Each entry is in narrative so it will say the year and then the date and then the hour at which the witnesses presented themselves to the mayor (or his deputy). It will then state where and when the child was born, its sex, name and that of its parents. The parents’ ages (sometimes dates of birth) and occupations will be given. The mother’s maiden name will be stated as standard. It might give a street address or it might just say “of the commune”. Then there will be a note about the witnesses, their occupations, ages, addresses etc. Sometimes the witnesses are family. Sometimes it was the midwife, just depends. Normally there are 2 witnesses. Occasionally it will tell you where and when the parents married (this is especially true if they married out of the area).
I doubt he was an only child. So, if it was me, when I looked at the film index for 1833-1842 I would note ALL the DUTREIX names and dates. Once you are sure you know the right names for the right parents then you can look at the births either sides of his date and possibly find siblings for him. You might be able to discount certain dates due to the age of the mother or things like a marriage date. You might find their marriage on the same film or it might be in the period 1829-1832. You’ll be able to cross-check against the deaths in that time frame too, to see if any of the siblings (assuming there are some) died etc.
Now to how you see the films! I assume you can’t go yourself? The archives will NOT search on your behalf. You can try the following associations, but they are likely to have a waiting list (and they only work on post/phone although a web search might bring up something like a webpage with email addresses).
• le Cercle généalogique historique et héraldique de la Marche et du Limousin : 26 rue de Nexon, 87000 LIMOGES (tél. : 05 55 06 39 84)
• les Amitiés généalogiques du Limousin : Espace associatif, 40 rue Charles-Sylvestre, 87100 LIMOGES (tél. : 05 55 37 08 07)
Otherwise you can try to find a private individual who will look for you for a fee. I know someone BUT you need to email me PRIVATELY (sherry.landa@wanadoo.fr) for that information because I can’t give details on a Rootsweb Board.
HTH
Sherry
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
gregorydutrei... 1 May 2009 8:13AM GMT 
sherry7678 2 May 2009 8:13AM GMT 
gregorydutrei... 3 May 2009 10:10PM GMT 
sherry7678 4 May 2009 7:24AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic