Search for content in message boards

Death of William STENSON in Marseilles 27 Aug 1875

Replies: 7

Death of William STENSON in Marseilles 27 Aug 1875

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 7:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STENSON
Hello Everyone.

I have joined this list because I need some help with a problem. Most of my research is in England, with some in Canada, United States and Australia. Recently, while searching the British Newspaper Archive online, I found the following article:
"Leicester Chronicle, Sat., 11 Sept 1875 DEATHS: STENSON. - On the 27th August, at Marseilles, en route for Mauritius, Wm. Stenson, of Coalville, eldest grandson of the late Wm. Stenson, Esq., deeply lamented by a large circle of friends, age 42 years."

This William STENSON is my great grand uncle. The last I knew of him before finding this was that he appeared on the 1851 Census in Coalville, Leicestershire, England as an 18 year old blacksmith. I want to find out more information about him and his death. I see four routes to this.

1. Obtain his death certificate. Can someone please tell me how I can find out if his death was registered in Marseilles and how I would go about getting a copy of the death record. I don't speak French. Can I place an order in English or do I need to get someone who speaks French to do it for me? The LDS does have the index on film, but they say it is also available online at www.archives13.fr but I have not been able to find anything there. Of course, I am handicapped by not speaking French.

2. Find something about his death in a newspaper. Is there a digital newspaper archive for France and more specifically for Marseilles, that I could search online? Or perhaps someone could please search it for me if one exists? There might have been something reported, especially if his death was suspicious in any way. If no online archive is available, how can I go about getting somebody to check the papers for me? I would think that if anything existed it would be reported on August 27, 28, or 29 probably, or on the first weekly publication after the 27th.

3. Is it possible to find out where he is buried? Perhaps burials are available online? Or perhaps there are CD's or fiche available?

4. Are passenger lists available for ships travelling from Marseilles to Mauritius? Even if he didn't board the ship, he might have had a ticket and be crossed off as not boarding? It has been suggested to me that he probably would have travelled from England to Marseilles by train and then boarded a ship for the remainder of the journey.

Any other ideas would be most welcome? Thank you all for considering this matter.

Vern in Canada
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
vernpres 16 Nov 2012 2:33PM GMT 
jambomama 16 Nov 2012 3:19PM GMT 
vernpres 16 Nov 2012 4:47PM GMT 
vernpres 16 Nov 2012 5:39PM GMT 
jambomama 17 Nov 2012 8:56AM GMT 
vernpres 17 Nov 2012 12:42PM GMT 
ama2fr 16 Nov 2012 3:55PM GMT 
vernpres 16 Nov 2012 4:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic