Search for content in message boards

Fongeallaz/Dumond

Replies: 4

Re: Fongeallaz/Dumond

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 12:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Dec 2012 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: Pigmon, Pigman, Piemond, Pijmon, Pijemon
Thank you for those insights John. My journey in genealogy has been a very long one. The Pigman surname in Ky. was spelled Pigmon up until the 1940's and the family has said that it was originally French.

I have recently found records in Correze and in Rhone-Alpes with the spelling Pigmon currently transcribed as Pimond and Pimont. The confusing thing is that before coming to North Carolina before 1748, I believe our family was in England for around 3 generations. There are records there of Guilliame Pigman, George Pigman, and Francis Pigman in Old Hunstanton, and Norwich, Norfolk.

The earlier ones in Correze are even spelled Piemond which is the Italian-French version of Piemonte or Piedmont. With the "g" as a "j" sound would change the meaning from "foot of the mountain" to "to take the mountain".

I think I remember reading that either in Piedmontese or occitan if there was a "g" in the middle it was dropped and a "d" added at the end.

My y-DNA currently places my R1b L2+/Z49+ and Z142(currently being tested) in the region of the Swiss, French, and Austrian Alps.

Could it be that Piejmon or Piejemon was the original in Piedmontese, Latin or Occitan and the conversion to French is the reason for all the variations?

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lrockett1 16 Jun 2006 3:10PM GMT 
RealMac 3 Sep 2007 2:57AM GMT 
curtisandsiss... 23 Dec 2012 3:38PM GMT 
RealMac 23 Dec 2012 6:13PM GMT 
curtisandsiss... 23 Dec 2012 7:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions