Joseph VIOLI was solder #1533 of the Swiss Meuron Regiment and served under English command against the Americans. He thus fought at the battle of Plattsburg.
During his service in Lower Canada he married Therese BONNEAU and had a first family. His wife deceased and he married my gggrandmother Marie Anne AUDET (mtDNA Beaugrand H7*) 10 OCT 1826 in Ste-Marguerite-de-Blairfindie, L'Acadia, Quebec, Canada
1. Aurélie VIOLY b: 11 FEB 1828 in L'Acadie, Quebec, Canada
2. Francois Alarie VIOLY b: 2 MAR 1831 in L'Acadie, Quebec, Canada
3. Marcelline VIOLY b: 7 MAR 1833 in L'Acadie, Quebec, Canada
4. Felix Narcisse VIOLY b: 10 MAR 1835 in L'Acadie, Quebec, Canada
5. Delphine Joséphine VIOLY (my ggmother) b: 8 APR 1837 in L'Acadie, Quebec, Canada
6. Adeline VIOLY b: 28 MAY 1839 in L'Acadie, Quebec, Canada
7. Marie Hermine VIOLY b: 20 MAR 1841 in L'Acadie, Quebec, Canada
8. Louis Napoleon VIOLY b: 1 JUL 1843 in L'Acadie, Quebec, Canada
9. Isaie VIOLY b: 15 FEB 1846
For a fine chronicle on the VIOLI descendants and other solders of the Meuron please refer to the book of Maurice VALLÉE (2005) "Le Régiment suisse de Meuron au Bas-Canada" Société d'histoire de Drummonville,ISBN 2-922789-00-4.
I am thus related to VIOLI in the following way:
1. VIOLI Jeremia m: Brossetti Theresa Italie (Emilia Romana)
2. VIOLI Joseph Abel m: LEMAY-AUDET Marie-Anne à Lacadie Qc Ca 1826-10-10
3. PROVOST Léon m: VIOLI Joséphine Henryville Qc Ca 1854-08-01
4. BRAULT Cyprien m: PROVOST Marie-Éva Stanbridge 1883-04-17
5. SAVARIA Lionel m: BRAULT Léa à Haver Hill, Mass (USA) 1905
6. BEAUGRAND Florent m: SAVARIA Albertine Montréal Qc Ca 1941-10-18
I am looking for any information on the VIOLI/FIOLI/ of the Modena Region (there is a small hamlet called FIOLI) which could allow me to complete my VIOLI line in Europe, probably in Italy ...
It is possible that VIOLI fought under Napoleon Bonaparte, was made prisoner by the English and sent to Gibraltar. From there he could have enrolled into the Meuron to serve abroad.
Our mtDNA line (along the uterine matrilineage) is H7*.
Merci beaucoup et au plaisir de vous lire.