Nicholas Moran - Irishman who was apprenticed to a millwright in Amsterdam

Replies: 6

Nicholas Moran - Irishman who was apprenticed to a millwright in Amsterdam

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 1:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Mar 2012 1:18PM GMT
Surnames: Moran
Hi all,

My great-great-great-grandfather Nicholas Moran of Fence, Tacumshane, Co. Wexford, Ireland (b. c.1822) was apprenticed to a millwright in Amsterdam, I am not sure for how long. He then went home to Wexford where he built Tacumshane Windmill (still standing today) in 1846. In 1868 he married Anne (Nannie) Murphy (b. c.1852) and they had eight children.

I am trying to find any information about him when he was in the Netherlands, but I'm not having much luck. There doesn't seem to be much online. Does anyone know of any online resources that might help me? I'm looking for census records, apprenticeship records, things like that. Possibly marriage and birth records, I suspect he may have been married and had children in the Netherlands.

Also I'm trying to figure out how he got to Amsterdam. Does anyone know of anywhere I can check ship records for Amsterdam? Only records I can find are to or from North America. It's possible he may have sailed to France and gone over land to the Netherlands, but I really don't know!

Am a bit stuck and would appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Liz
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
eilis_ni_bhri... 6 Mar 2012 8:16PM GMT 
Luke Baars 7 Mar 2012 11:10PM GMT 
demonei 4 Sep 2012 7:39AM GMT 
eilis_ni_bhri... 7 Dec 2012 6:02PM GMT 
teamzezelic1 19 Aug 2013 4:58PM GMT 
eilis_ni_bhri... 19 Aug 2013 5:13PM GMT 
teamzezelic1 19 Aug 2013 8:30PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic