Search for content in message boards

Cecelia TENÖVER

Replies: 84

Re: Cecelia TENÖVER

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 11:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Feb 2013 11:58AM GMT
I know it was common Dutch practice to name a child the same name if the prior child had died, but how common is it give the same names when both are living. This question comes to me after looking at a few family trees that have Mannes Egelbertus ten OEVER listed in them. The following link is an example of what I am finding:

http://www.vriezenveners.nl/genealogie/getperson.php?personI...

You'll notice that Mannes Egelbertus ten OEVER is listed as two separate persons. Birth dates are different and marriages are to different persons. One is my Mannes Egelbertus ten OEVER that I have connected to Cecelia and the other I believe is actually Herman Albert ten OEVER that married Theodora Mittendorf, she died and he came to the USA with (2) children, Johanna & Alexander Johannes. Emigration records from the link you gave me indicates that M.E. ten OEVER came to Cincinnati, N America in 1865. Once in the USA he remarried to Mary SCHULTE and had (4) more children with her.

Could 'Mannes Egelbertus ten OEVER' be the main name and other names be also give to each child to make them different, hence the Herman Albert? I have read that the Dutch sometimes give up to five names to a child.

I know this is a lot of questions, but I'm just trying to make sense out of all these people.

I hope you enjoyed that glass of wine last evening. I would have like to had one also but I'm on 24 hour call this week at my job. No drinks until next Monday.

Dean

I'll try and look into a possible relation between Egbertus and Harman tomorrow. For now, I'll have a nice glass of wine and relax. It's 9.35 hrs pm over here and it's been a busy day at work.....

Kind regards,
Marianne
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
walkerwdbj 25 Feb 2013 1:46PM GMT 
rdpiet 25 Feb 2013 3:17PM GMT 
Mariannenl 25 Feb 2013 7:28PM GMT 
rdpiet 25 Feb 2013 7:46PM GMT 
Mariannenl 25 Feb 2013 8:00PM GMT 
rdpiet 25 Feb 2013 8:13PM GMT 
Mariannenl 25 Feb 2013 8:41PM GMT 
walkerwdbj 26 Feb 2013 6:56PM GMT 
rdpiet 26 Feb 2013 8:13PM GMT 
rdpiet 26 Feb 2013 8:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions