Search for content in message boards

Mid 1600's - Where was "Sint Francisco"

Replies: 2

Re: Sint Franciscus church, Amsterdam

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 1:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BOOG, DE BOOG, DEBOW
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what to make of this answer but I do know that the present San Francisco in California didn't exist for at least another 100 yrs+ so I'd counted that out right from the get go for that and the reason it hadn't, to my knowledge, been part of any Dutch colony or settlement.

And what I found is a transcription of a marriage document in the Archives in the Hague. The headings given are those that apparently, were standard to a marriage document of the time and are followed by the information supplied by the couple at the time so the heading of "Geboorteplaats" is no doubt, correct.

I was thinking with the Dutch being traders/merchants that maybe a birthplace of "Sint Francisco" was a location in one of the Dutch island colonies such as Sri Lanka, the Spice Islands or in the Caribbean.

The Boog (aka de Boog, Debow) family & descendants in North America were Reformed Dutch through the 1800's and, in many of the branches, beyond then.

My research on Kerk van Sint-Franciscus van Assisi in Amsterdam says it was Roman Catholic.

This brings some questions to mind:

Did members of the Reformed Dutch Church intermarry with Roman Catholics?

As well as would a Roman Catholic be required to convert in order to marry a Reformed Dutch person thereby opening the possibility of other records existing that were needed for a conversion?

I've also seen in Paris, some neighborhoods surrounding certain churches being called for the name of the parish of the church serving the neighborhood. The most recent time I've worked with this a month or so back, I'd found a birth of a French ancestor born in Saint-Germain-l'Auxerrois. Paris. Saint-Germain-l'Auxerrois was both the name of the neighborhood in Paris as well as the name of the parish/church that served the neighborhood.

Was this also a custom in Amsterdam? That might then lead the bride to answer the question on "place of birth" on the marriage document with an answer reflecting the neighborhood in Amsterdam where she was born rather than giving a more general answer of Amsterdam as the groom did.

Thoughts - answers anyone?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mindfoggs2 5 Jul 2013 11:08PM GMT 
carlsonjm 6 Jul 2013 7:59PM GMT 
mindfoggs2 8 Jul 2013 7:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions