Search for content in message boards

WESSELL research

Replies: 1

Re: WESSELL research

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 4:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wessell, Wessel, Wessels
I have compiled quite a bit of information about Antonio Wessell (my great, great, great grandfather).
Although, you may have already discovered a lot of it since this initial post many years ago.

ANTONIO (aka Thomas, aka Antonie, aka Antonia) WESSELL.
Born in Amsterdam, Holland in 1819 (so say his Australian citizenship papers, which are available on microfilm at the Mudgee library).
He had 9 children with wife Hannah Elizabeth Lacey, from 1856 through to 1869 - as below:
Thomas R
David Samuel
Robert
Henry
Elizabeth
Edward
Edwin Arthur
Charlotte Jane
Theodore V

Supposedly, he was a sailor aboard the Dutch ship 'Aerd Van Nes' when it was shipwrecked in 1854 off the Great Detached Reef & rescued by the 'Caroline Chisholm' on it's way back into Sydney.
The captain of the Aerd Van Nes (F.M. Carsjens), published an account of the events. However, it's entirely written in Dutch. I have a digital copy of the book & would be happy to forward it onto anyone who may be interested.

He died on February 14, 1897 at his property called 'Leach Hole' & was buried in Lue (near Rylestone) in NSW.
Cause of death was listed as "Self inflicted poison".

Let me know if you'd like any additional information on him (or his offspring).

j_wessell@hotmail.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Alexandra Coffey 17 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT 
j_wessell35 26 Feb 2013 11:35AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions