Search for content in message boards

First Name Question

Replies: 5

Re: First Name Question

Posted: 7 May 2012 3:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Liz,
over here in Limburg they went by their first or their middle or their third name! It was, and still is, very common to have three baptize names, for example my baptize names: Catharina Andrea Johanna; Catharina after my father's mother, Andrea after my mother's father and Johanna after my father and mother (Johannes and Anna) and I am called Irma. Can you still follow it? I should have been called after my grandmother Catharina but they called her "Tring" and my mother didn't like that and choose Irma, only my father forgot to give up that name at the city clerk so officially I have 'only' three names.

But the names Johannes/Joannes and Maria were used very often. Also the village church patron was mostly used in the names. and because of that many people would have been called Jan (after Johannes/Joannes) or Maria and that's why one is called by their first, thee other by their second and again others by their third name.
Sounds a bit complicated but it's not after you finally know your way around :)

And because I am living in Limburg I am very much interested in the family names you are researching over here. Take a look at my home page www.limburgemigrant.nl

Greetings,
Irma

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
E Allen 6 May 2012 6:41AM GMT 
Lars Roobol 6 May 2012 7:59AM GMT 
E Allen 6 May 2012 6:17PM GMT 
Lars Roobol 6 May 2012 6:42PM GMT 
Irma Lommen -... 7 May 2012 9:12AM GMT 
E Allen 8 May 2012 12:26AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic