Search for content in message boards

Trying to determine if Pigmans and Pigman are the same family!

Replies: 4

Re: Trying to determine if Pigmans and Pigman are the same family!

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 12:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pigmans, Pigmon, Pigman
Thanks for the suggestion! The other confusing thing is that up until around 1930 our name was always spelled Pigmon! My dad and grandfather are even listed that way in the census as well as as 4 generations before that!

I ran across this site for Tilburg:

http://www.regionaalarchieftilburg.nl/zoeken-in-databases/ge...

I punched in Pigmans and there are approximately 3,050 entries mostly in the village of Tilburg! Wow!

The earliest date I have found for a Pigmans in Holland is 1677 and the earliest date in Old Hunstanton,Norfolk is 1623. Especially with the s dropped on my ancestor's name I think Norfolk could be the origin maybe for both the Dutch Pigmans and the Colonial American Pigman family.

Huguenot's had a strange path. Here is a story someone shared with me recently about his ancestors:

My family came from London, England, deported at Yorkshire, and then Copenhagen, Denmark, en route to America landing in northern VA.
Before that they were in Lancashire, England near Scotland, and before that in the Netherlands I believe in Walloonia in Belgium, and before that France.

It could be Pigmon/Pigman/Pigmans had a similar path except France, Norfolk, then some left for Holland and my ancestor left for Maryland??

Since I am looking for John, would that be Jan in Dutch or perhaps Johannes?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
curtisandsiss... 19 Oct 2012 8:45PM GMT 
Luke Baars 20 Oct 2012 10:27AM GMT 
curtisandsiss... 20 Oct 2012 12:51PM GMT 
Luke Baars 21 Oct 2012 3:28PM GMT 
curtisandsiss... 21 Oct 2012 6:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions