Search for content in message boards

Trying to determine if Pigmans and Pigman are the same family!

Replies: 4

Re: Trying to determine if Pigmans and Pigman are the same family!

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 6:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pigman, Pigmans,Pigmon,Pimond
In all the censuses our name was normally spelled Pigmon however there is confusion on how it is supposed to be spelled.

I am posting to the Noord-Brabant board because there were/are numerous Pigmans in Tilburg and other places in the Netherlands. Hoping to find some of their genealogy.

Here are a couple of my thoughts/findings:

Most surnames were started as a place name or an occupation. In our case Piemons or Piemond is a variation of Piemonte which is Italian for what we call Piedmont. (Latin for Piemonte meaning foot of the mountain). The center of the Kindom of Piemonte was for a time (14-15th century?) in Chambery, Rhone-Alpes, France - just north of the area of Correze. The Pigmon name is also recorded there but not as far back. I haven't figured out how to get into the Rhone-Alpes records yet but I will.

These COULD be the parents of John Pigman:

groom's name: William Pigman
bride's name: Ana Amond
marriage date: 09 Jan 1667
marriage place: Hunstanton, Norfolk, England
indexing project (batch) number: I04529-7
system origin: England-EASy
source film number: 1951636
https://familysearch.org/search/records/index#count=20&q...

If we were Huguenots, the trail could be: from France to Noord-Brabant, then some left for Norfolk, England. Some but not all left in the late 1600's for Maryland.

While I have some matches with y-DNA that are German, most are around the French, Switzerland, Austria, Italian Alpine areas. Pigmon is also a surname that was in Rhone-Alpes and in Correze,France usually spelled Pimond.

Curtis Pigman(Pigmans,Pigmon,Pimond)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
curtisandsiss... 19 Oct 2012 8:45PM GMT 
Luke Baars 20 Oct 2012 10:27AM GMT 
curtisandsiss... 20 Oct 2012 12:51PM GMT 
Luke Baars 21 Oct 2012 3:28PM GMT 
curtisandsiss... 21 Oct 2012 6:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic