Search for content in message boards

Matthew Jackson in Hillegom in 19c

Replies: 6

Re: Matthew Jackson in Hillegom in 19c

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 2:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jun 2012 2:43PM GMT
Richard Jackson was a hat maker from Pocklington in East Yorkshire who moved to Amsterdam in the late 1700s with his wife Mary (Leonard). We do not know why they moved to Holland but at first they lived in Vijgendam (?). Then they moved to 100 Kalvarstraat where Mary ran a draper's shop and Richard made hats.

Richard died in 1816 and around this time his nephew Thomas (the son of Richard's brother John) moved to Holland, we think probably to help Mary run the shop, as he is recorded as a book keeper (accountant). Thomas married Mary's niece Hannah Leonard,who lived with her aunt. We think that Mary left the shop to her when she died. Thomas he also seems to have been a wood carver, and after the death of Mary when Hannah his wife inherited the shop, at Kalvarstraat, he ran a business there where he made and sold carved picture frames and became an art dealer- quite a successful one.

Thomas and Mary Leonard had several children including Alexander Matthew, my ggg grandfather in 1824. Thomas and Hannah died young (Hannah in 1833 and Thomas in 1834) and left their young children as orphans. We have been trying to find out what happened to them after this and recently I came across a reference to the death of their uncle Matthew in Hillegom in 1852. Until then I did not even know he lived in Holland. (Thomas's will refers to Matthew as a merchant from London). Then someone else found the newspaper announcement about Alexander Matthew becoming 21 and living with his uncle Matthew. I know nothing more about Matthew in Holland beyond what you have just told me. There is nothing on the Genlias database. Thank you very much for this.

It is a bit confusing because all the Jackson men have the same Christian names but basically Richard (1756-1816 died Amsterdam) was born the son of Matthew Jackson in Pocklington, Yorkshire(1721-85). Richard's brother was John (b1762 lived in York)) and John in turn had sons Matthew (1789-1852 died Hillegom) and Thomas (1791-1834 died Amsterdam). So Richard who lived in Holland was the uncle of Matthew and Thomas who were brothers and also lived in Holland.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
usignuolo 10 Jun 2012 10:40AM GMT 
jettie61 28 Jun 2012 3:14PM GMT 
hazelmaryjack... 28 Jun 2012 4:54PM GMT 
jettie61 28 Jun 2012 7:14PM GMT 
jettie61 28 Jun 2012 7:29PM GMT 
jettie61 28 Jun 2012 8:00PM GMT 
hazelmaryjack... 28 Jun 2012 8:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions