Search for content in message boards

Moors

Replies: 9

Morisco Roots

Jen Abadi (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2000 9:47AM GMT
Hello T.,
Well, here's my little story. I sort of figured out by my name (as well as MANY other surnames in my family) and where we are from (Granada, Motril, Malaga), that there was a pretty good chance that we were descended from "Moors", in my case North Africans. Could you tell me a little about your research? Just whatever you are comfortable with, just so I can get an idea. I do not know how far you have gone back, but the best thing I did was to just keep going back as far as possible, and if you notice that the names look like corruptions of Arabic names, note them. Don't mind if these people are listed as Christians, just keep going. It sounds obvious, but many people get frustrated (and it is frustrating!) but you can do it! Then you can check the Limpieza de Sangre records (Purity of Blood). These are fascinating, but I went to Spain for that part. I will have to check my documents so I can give you a more precise "game plan". You see, I have heard those good old family stories that most people laugh at and say, "yeah, sure, but that was a long time ago, you could never prove that". Well, not only did I prove it (with documents-wow! to hold them in your hands and actually SEE them!)but I go to North Africa alot and you would not believe how many more Abadis are there than in Spain. Oh. One interesting tidbit. Many people today in the north of Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, who are descended from those Andalusis who were expelled from Spain can often actually tell you what town in Spain they originally came from. It may be difficult, but it is by no means impossible! Keep in touch!
Jen

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
T. Hudson 12 Jun 2000 1:18AM GMT 
Spanish celtic ansestry 21 Jun 2000 5:52PM GMT 
MICHELLELOPEZ... 30 Jun 2001 1:15AM GMT 
MICHELLELOPEZ... 30 Jun 2001 1:16AM GMT 
Jen Abadi 30 Jun 2000 9:23PM GMT 
T 1 Jul 2000 2:29PM GMT 
Jen Abadi 1 Jul 2000 3:47PM GMT 
Catherine Brandt 17 Oct 2003 11:16PM GMT 
MLSMORTGAGES 16 Jul 2013 1:17PM GMT 
AnneFC_1 12 Jun 2001 1:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions