Search for content in message boards

Moran

Replies: 16

Spanish possibilities for surname Moran

David Alan Moran (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2000 4:44PM GMT
I am a history teacher, and have for many years wondered if the legions of Spanish/Moorish sailor/troops that abandon ship during the English/Spanish (Armada) war of 1588 may have had some influence on the surname I bear. Being of proud Irish stock, I hesitate to jump to any conclusions. However, being an objective historian has its obligations as well.
To be more specific, as the English drove the seemingly mighty but drastically underprepared Spanish gallions north through the English Channel via fireships, many Spanish vessels proceeded to hug the English and then Irish coastline in a U-shaped pattern. This was no doubt an effort to safely return home to Spain eventually. It is well documented that Spain's King Philip II enlisted scores of Moors (those that survived the heresy craze under Inquisition) for naval duty. Somewhere off the west/northwest shores of Ireland, the embattled Spanish warships began to fall apart,and subsequently sink. Hundreds of men jumped for their lives and attempted to swim ashore. Only a hundred or so made it, according to legend. The bulk of them stayed in Ireland, finding one way or another to fit in and eventually diffuse.

A footnote--outside of the surname possibilities, some thought has been given by scholars of late to the possibility that some darker skinned Irish (I knew one in college--not black, but bronzish in skin tone)may have descended from these Moorish refugees. In that particular case, my surname does not fit my family lineage's skin tone, as we are/were all lily-white.

Dave Moran
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Glynn C Moran 22 Dec 1999 9:22AM GMT 
dr_daniel_how... 23 Oct 2012 5:51AM GMT 
David Alan Moran 22 Jun 2000 10:44PM GMT 
cindy koehler 14 Oct 2004 2:52AM GMT 
cindy 18 Oct 2004 6:33PM GMT 
dr_daniel_how... 23 Oct 2012 5:48AM GMT 
Declan Moran 28 Jul 1999 6:05AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions