Search for content in message boards

doing some research for me

Replies: 1

Re: doing some research for me

Posted: 21 Feb 2010 10:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Samantha

If you are still looking for your Louisiana Canary Island ancestors you may want to ask the Canary Islanders Heritage Society for help. www.canaryislanders.org. You can join for about $15 and they will help with research. I live in another state so I can't go to archives in Louisiana but was able to get a ton of information from them. They have access to the Catholic records which are WONDERFUL. The marriage, baptism etc records have lots of information in them - like who the grandparents of the baby are... really great for matching people up. We werOne of hte ladies from the society looked it all up for me. We able to go back to the boats from the Canary Islands.

Also - if you haven't already, get the book "The Canary Islanders of Louisiana" by Gilbert Din. You can get it online at amazon.com, atleast I did just a year or two ago.It has great information about the voyages, where they settled etc in it and the boat manifests are listed in the back of the book - there are Hidalgos in it, but i have not found a Josef Hidalgo yet.

Could your Josef have been a Jose?? A Jose Hidalgo and his wife Isabel Sambrana sailed from Tenerife on 29 Oct 1778 with their children Gregorio (10), Francisca (9), and (Juan 10 months.) These names are right from the passenger lists. Some of my ancestors came on this ship too. A Bartolome Hernandez Hidalgo and his wife Isabel were on the La Victoria which sailed from Tenerife on Oct 22, 1778.

If Josef was Jose , he and his wife were married in the Canary Islands before 1778, proably before 1768 if they had a 10 year old son. How far back can you go? Even knowing back in to the 1800s can help get you back to the 1700s. Lousisiana records are pretty good in some cases - especially the Orleans parish records. Most of my relatives ended up in St Bernard Parish and lived there since the arrival of those ships in 1779 - up until Katrina anyway.

Anyway - if you go to the canaryislanders.org website, there should be a link to a form to join, or a contact name. The gal who spoke to me asked me to give her as much information about my family that I could and after that she went through the records there to go back to the boats from the Canary Islands, and beyond in a couple cases. I hope you have as much luck as I did.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
shwilds 27 Nov 2009 3:18AM GMT 
Ar403 22 Feb 2010 5:47AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic