Ancestry

Search the Boards

Search Results for "wigtownshire" - 3,042 Messages

per page

Amy Skimming Posted on: 06 Sep 2001, by Andrew Fallows

Localities > United Kingdom and Ireland > Scotland > Wigtownshire > General

...great grandmother Amy Grace Skimming (b.1894 d.1974) Lived at Ash Tree Cottage, High Street, Kirkinner, Wigtownshire until her death. Does anyone know anything about her?

Re: McCracken, Davidson of Dumfriesshire - Wigtownshire Posted on: 09 Jan 2004, by  margaretbywat...

Hello Margaret here Checked 1881 census for you seeing as you have so much info and in case you haven't got it Dwelling: Lagganmore Census Place: Portpatrick, Wigtown, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0...

SKIMMING/SKIMINE, BAXTER - Wigtownshire Posted on: 20 Jun 1999, by Bob Bartleson

I am seeking information on John SKIMMING/SKIMINE and Agnes Baxter, circa 1750 Wigtown, Wigtownshire. dau Margaret b 26 Aug 1775 Wigtown; m William McGEOCH. son Thomas b 1779 Sorbie, d 5 May 1859 Blackcraig, Mi...

McCracken, Davidson of Dumfriesshire - Wigtownshire Posted on: 04 Nov 2003, by  gillianh231

Looking to see if someone can help me fathom out my family history. My Grandmother, Helena McCracken, was born 1924 in Gatehouse of Fleet - she is buried in Portpatrick Old Cemetery. Her father was Ja...

MCMILLEN Posted on: 06 Jul 1998, by Jeff McMillen

Localities > United Kingdom and Ireland > Scotland > General

James MCMILLEN b. 1715, Dunragit Village, Wigtownshire. Parents Francis MCMILLEN and Martha ?. Siblings include Robert and John MCMILLEN both apparently born in Dunragit Village before 1729. Any information on th...

Jackson,Wigtown Posted on: 02 Oct 2000, by  giaspinall

...also like to know Francis Jackson's parents. Any assistance would be appreciated. Both persons from Wigtownshire, emigrated to New Zealand.

John Blain & Sarah Thomson Stranraer Wigtownshire Posted on: 14 Aug 2002, by Alan Cameron

I know that my gr grandparets John Blain and Sarah Thomson Married 10 Apr 1871, and that their children were, Margaret b 21 May 1871, Jane Campbell b 30 Jul 1873, John b 14 Oct 1880 and Robert not sur...

Re: Elizabeth Barras Posted on: 25 May 2001, by  maryrichson

Surnames > Barras

...children left Scotland for Michigan, USA, in 1834. (Eleanor died in 1828.) Eleanor was born in Penninghame, Wigtownshire, Scotland, in the 1770s. Maybe too many years apart from your Elizabeth to make a connectio...

John McGowine and Christina Houston c. 1521(Whithorn Parish) Posted on: 26 Oct 2003, by Jim Houston

...parents were of either of these individuals (i.e. John McGowan or Christina Houston)? Source: "Wigtownshire Charters" edited by Edited by R. C. Reid, published in Edinburgh, 1960: ------------------...

Re: John (James) McRobert Posted on: 03 Jun 2005, by Mary Richardson

Finding OPRs, especially before the 19th century can be problematic at best. Four years ago, Bruce McDowall posted this to the SCT-WIGTOWNSHIRE list: "The Kirkinner OPRs, for both baptisms and ...

Re: George Morton & Janet Mair Posted on: 14 Jul 2006, by  prohwer

...these notes) George was a farmer and weaver of Bar wheys and Auchenmeaed by Kilmarnock. George moved to Wigtownshire with his family sometime after 1855. George moved from a farm called Townhead to a farm called...

Helen Broadfoot 1855 Posted on: 28 Nov 1999, by Sally

...She was married to Hugh Murray and had 10 children. Five of the children were born in Port William, Wigtownshire, Scotland and and 5 were born in Chicago, Cook Co. Illinois. She married Hugh January 14, 1875 om S...

The IGI is on-line (free)! Posted on: 28 Sep 2000, by  AndrewMcNeill...

You'll be very pleased to know that you can do your own IGI look-ups on-line at the following address http://www.familysearch.org/Search/searchigi.asp This has been a great place to look for ancestors...

Wills of Michael Houston of Cotreoch (d. 1573) and Jane Stewart (d. 1607) Wife o Posted on: 23 Oct 2003, by Jim Houston

All, Those that are following the Houstons of Cotreoch (Whithorn Parish, Wigtownshire) may want to know that the will of Michael Houston of Cotreoch ("Michaell Howstoun of Cottreoch") dated 30 S...

Re: John (James) McRobert Posted on: 03 Jun 2005, by  biggefan3

...Mary McCormack (McCornock)'s children in Vermont and through the online IGI's and have researched the Wigtownshire pages on Rootsweb but cannot seem to find John (James) McRobert other than his children's christe...

Re: George Morton & Janet Mair Posted on: 14 Jul 2006, by  cheyenne1715

...I'm not researching them, but found some information about a Morton family that moved from Ayrshire to Wigtownshire, but it was James Morton and his wife Janet Mair. The 1881 census for this family is shown belo...

Penninghame/Kirkinner McCULLOCHs Posted on: 23 Oct 2000, by  maryrichson

...3, 1834 James Township, Saginaw County, Michigan .. +Eleanor Borows b: Abt. 1770 Penninghame, Wigtownshire, Scotland d: October 3, 1828 Kirkinner, Wigtownshire, Scotland m: Abt. 1798 Grange Penninghame, Wigtownshire, Scotland .....

This will interest you! Posted on: 26 Sep 2000, by  AndrewMcNeill...

Below are the only IGI entries for Margaret Lettom anywhere & at any time in Scotland. I think this takes you back another generation to her parents: Margaret Lettom & Patrick McCulloch (she p...

ASSYNT Parish Posted on: 06 Jul 1999, by  u2me2u

Localities > United Kingdom and Ireland > Scotland > Sutherland > General

Have just discovered ancestor ANDREW KELLIE who died in Wigtownshire, was born in Parish of Assynt c1805. Parents were Peter Kelly and Jean HERON. Would appreciate any info on Parish, History, Sources, and of cou...

Re: Blackcraig? Posted on: 27 Feb 2003, by  lynda292

I live a mile from blackcraig.If you would like to find out more let me know.Blackcraig has only a few houses.It is situated nr newton stewart wigtownshire scotland

Stair Hathorn Stewart Posted on: 31 May 2005, by  Barnbarroch

...descendants. Before him, thanks to Rachel Newcombe, I have quite a lot of info about the Hathorn family in Wigtownshire, their maternal ancestors and their descendants which I am happy to share.

Hugh Murray 1851 Posted on: 28 Nov 1999, by Sally

Looking for the parents of Hugh Murray born February 17, 1851 in Port William, Wigtownshire, Scotland. He married a Helen Broadfoot in January of 1875.

Information about Helen Murray Posted on: 13 Nov 1999, by Hugh Matheson

I am looking for information regarding Helen Murray McDowall, born in Stranraer, Wigtownshire in the mid 1890's. Her mother was a singer who may have died in childbirth or shortly thereafter. Helen McDowall was r...

Re: Balgreggan House Posted on: 22 Oct 2003, by Shirley

BALGREGGAN, Wigtownshire From National Archives of Scotland (type Balgreggan in top box) You can click on the below extracts at that site for more info. http://195.153.34.3/dservea/ Reference Title Date [ 1 ] ...

Catherine Murray Posted on: 19 May 2005, by Mary Campbell

I am lookin for the family of Catherine Murray born between 1828 and 1834 either in Wigtown or Wigtownshire. The only clue I have is that her father was an army pensioner, name and regiment unknown. Thanks to any...

Balgreggan House Posted on: 21 Oct 2003, by Maitland Kelly

Looking for information on Balgreggan House, Wigtownshire. On a map date 1782 this house is shown against the name Fredk Maitland Esquire. I believe that members of my family may have worked this estate at this p...

Thanks Nancy Posted on: 07 Sep 1999, by  AndrewMcNeill...

...have been named for an ancestor called Helen McCulloch. I'm not certain whether this person lived in Wigtownshire, how far back they were or which side of the family they were on. I started to record all the McCu...

Houston, Schaw, Montgomery of Wigtownshire 1600s Posted on: 25 Mar 2006, by sw

re: Registrum Secreti Sigill Regum Scotrum , Vol. I, 1488-1529, p.112 which shows a 30 Jan 1502 land transaction by William Houston in Galloway : "A.D. 1501-1502 763 Apud .... 30 Jan. A letter o...

Thomas SHANKS -- Sarah FLEETING Posted on: 06 Nov 1999, by  Wendycollins1...

I am researching the family of Thomas Shanks who married Sarah Fleeting at Portpatrick, Wigtownshire on 10 February 1829. Known children: Hugh, James, Hugh, William, John, Sarah, Martha (married a Leitch/Leach), ...

Re: WIlliam McTAGGART - Wigtown Posted on: 30 Jun 2002, by  GeorgeBartles...

...—————————————————————————...

MAGILL history Posted on: 21 Jun 2002, by Chris Wieland

I've been told that the Magill name originiated in Galloway, Wigtownshire. Are there any Magills out there who would have any history about the Magills? Thanks! Chris Magill Wieland

Re: Houstons Whithorn Parish, Wigtownshire. Posted on: 25 Oct 2004, by Jim houston

Shirley, Thanks much! Some of this I had not seen before! Jim Houston

Houstons Whithorn Parish, Wigtownshire. Posted on: 25 Oct 2004, by Shirley

...barony of Busbie, then possessed by Mr John HOUSTOUN, his father, and he. Further information in Wigtownshire Charters. 941.006 S42.3 Ed. by R.C. Reid, LL.D. Third Series. Edinburgh. 1960. p.107. #75 "S...

Monument Inscriptions Posted on: 19 Jun 1999, by Bob Bartleson

Does anyone have copies of the MIs for Wigtownshire cemeteries?

Wigtowmshire Posted on: 03 Nov 1999, by Dorothy

McMurtrie from Wigtownshire circa 1806- 1892 looking for any connections

Houstons of Cotreoch, Whithorn Parish, Wigtownshire, Scotland c. 1510 - 1621 Posted on: 29 Sep 2003, by Jim Houston

All, Those who are following the Houstons from Cotreoch may find the following record which I found in the Repository of National Archives of Scotland (Reference GD455/15) interesting: "Titl...

McLeans in Wigtownshire Posted on: 22 Jul 1999, by Barbara McLean

I am researching the same surname in Wigtownshire and have quite a bit of info but not sure if it is the same family. First name is Jacob McLean m. Elizabeth Thompson, at Leswalt, 1837 -their son, William m. Char...

McKinzley? Posted on: 29 Sep 2003, by  kbrownst

Looking for info on the McKinzley family of Wigtownshire area. My GG Grandmother Emma (Emily) Agnes McKinzley was born in Kentucky(USA) in 1873 but listed both her parents as having been born in Scotland with h...

Re: REA Family Posted on: 20 Apr 2005, by Bruce McDowall

Hi Gary, My comment was specific to Wigtownshire, and to records prior to 1700. I had assumed that was the scope of your quest based on your subject line and previous message. Regards, Bruce

Re: robert mcchleary Posted on: 19 Sep 2001, by alan mcchleary

Hi Margaret,, just come across your message on the wigtownshire board. The connection with Robert is as follows. He is my father and was married to Winifred Langlands whose parents were George Langlands and Ma...

Re: REA Family Posted on: 20 Apr 2005, by Gary Rea

...Old Parish Records, which extend back to 1553 (albeit, the earliest Rea I found was in 1559). None in Wigtownshire, but, it's only one of several locations I'm researching. Gary

Re: REA Family -- George McCRAE Posted on: 18 Apr 2005, by Bruce McDowall

...complete coverage of the OPRs, but the I expect the IGI is a good indication. The earliest OPR record in Wigtownshire began in 1694, but the starting date depended on the parish. There is a handy list of the date...

Re: REA Families in Wigtownshire Posted on: 15 Apr 2005, by Bruce McDowall

Have you tried the 1684 lists? If not, you can do so from the Wigtownshire Pages site at: http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~leighann/1684/intro.html Be sure to search for spelling variants, especially McCRAE...

James McConnochie -- Old Luce, Wigtownshire Posted on: 31 Oct 1999, by Jennifer Flitton

James McConnochie of Old Luce Wigtownshire Scotland born about 1764. He was first married to Elizabeth Hunter. His second wife was Helen Hunter. His third wife was Jean Torbron. His first and second wives were si...

Fisher's of New Luce Posted on: 22 Sep 2000, by  Schraefel

I am looking for info on the family of William FISHER, b. abt 1837 at Bargrennan, Wigtownshire, m.at Mochrum in 1872 to Jane Scott CAMPBELL, b.1849 at Mauchline, Ayr. Their family consisted of: Jessie, b.1873, d...

Stewart and Agnew Posted on: 03 Aug 2001, by Margaret Horn

I am tracing Samuel STEWART (son of John STEWART and Margaret MONTGOMERY) born C1802 Inch P., Wigtownshire, who married Jane AGNEW on June 24, 1830 in Inch P. (dau. of William AGNEW and Elizabeth DAVIDSON) born C...

REA Families in Wigtownshire, 1600s Posted on: 15 Apr 2005, by Gary Rea

I am looking for any REA families that lived in Wigtownshire in the late 17th century, especially around 1680 or so and, particularly, any that had a son named William born about 1680. Any help would be appreciat...

John Murray (disowned by Scottish father in 1830) Posted on: 10 Sep 2000, by  big-fat

...Scottish aristocrat who had an estate in Ireland. I know there was land granted to a George Murray of Wigtownshire in the 1600's in County Donegal and was wondering if this could be the same estate. I am trying ...

Wigtownshire names Posted on: 01 Aug 2001, by  cbhlgen

Parents of JOHN DOWNIE and MARGARET LOWRIE who were married on 8th January 1849 at Stoneykirk, Wigtown. Parents of THOMAS BAIRD and ANN BOYD who were married on 12th April 1857 at New Luce,...

SAMUEL MARTIN Posted on: 08 Jun 2002, by  gswain68

Would like to connect with anyone researching Martin surname in Wigtownshire. Samuel Martin b. 1725 Wigtown, m. Isabell McNeary cir. 1763 Glasserton, children Elizabeth, Andrew, James, Peter Martin. In York Co. P...

per page