Philip and John Alexander farmed much of the land where Hunting Creek flows into the Potomac River.Hugh West oversaw the tobacco warehouse,a ferry and a tavern. In 1748,they joined with other merchants to petition the Va. General Assembly for the creation of a new "market town". By July of 1749, the community was laid out and named "Alexandria" in honor of the Alexander Family. The land at the northern end is now Reagan National Airport.Traditions in the Virginia family identify John with their ancestor, he was born 1603,entered the Univesity of Glasgow in 1630,emigtrated to Virginia in 1636 and died in 1677. He was thought to be the 4th son of William Alexander the Poet and the First Earl of Sterling.