Search for content in message boards

James Sharp and Rachel Cannon family

Replies: 13

James Sharp and Rachel Cannon family

Posted: 27 Aug 2003 11:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sharp, Cannon, Alexander, Cartmell
I have recently proven that my husband is descended from this couple so I have begun searching the Alexander information again and have found that I neglected to respond to a couple of requests concerning James Sharp and Rachel Cannon's children. I have put this information in other forums, but I apologize for not putting it here.

James Sharp was b. May, 1754 in Mecklenburg, County, North Carolina. Rachel Cannon was b. in 1769, also in Mecklenburg County. They had nine children, as follows:

Marcus DeLafayette Sharp (Doctor) b. January 23, 1789. Moved to Sumner, Tennessee (unk. if county or town), then to Kentucky, and then to Texas where he died.
Alfred Sharp b. April 27, 1791. Died and was buried near Cotton Grove in Madison County, Tennessee.
John Sharp b. March 25, 1794. Moved to Tipton County, Tennessee, then to Texas, then back to Tipton County where he died.
Emma Sharp b. September 22, 1796. Married a Mr. Davis and died in Rutherford County, Tennessee.
Theophilus Sharp b. June 25, 1799. Died in Rutherford County, Tennessee.
James Morris Sharp b. March 23, 1802. Died near Cotton Grove in Madison County, Tennessee. My husband's line.
Margaret Cannon Sharp b. October 22, 1806. Married a Mr. Hibbett and died in Texas.
Jemima Alexander Sharp b. February 13, 1809. Married Martin Cartmell in Jackson, Madison County, Tennessee. Died there December 25, 1891 and buried in Riverside Cemetery there. The last of the children to die.
Joseph Cannon Sharp b. June 9, 1811. Died in Jackson, Madison County, Tennessee and buried in Riverside Cemetery there.

James and Rachel Sharp were of Scotch-Irish descent and old school Presbyterians. They moved their family from Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, to Old Jefferson on the Stones River in Rutherford County, Tennessee. They both died there on their farm. James d. in 1811 at age 57; Rachel in 1822 at age 52.

All of this information comes from the diary of Robert Cartmell, son of Jemima Alexander Sharp and Martin Cartmell. Jemima Cartmell was in possession of her parents' Bible when her home burned. In 1885, her son Robert copied family information from the Theophilus Sharp Bible which was then owned by Theophilus' son James. As Jemima was still living at this time and, according to her son, quite in possession of her faculties, I have no doubt that she would have corrected any misinformation in Cartmell's copy. Pages with family information are in the Madison County Library in Jackson, Tennessee. The entire Cartmell diary is in the Tennessee State Archives.

There are many land and court records in Madison County, Tennessee that mention or concern several members of this family. There is also documentation in Rutherford County records. Percy Priest Lake, a TVA project, now covers Old Jefferson, but I do not know whether the Sharp farm itself is under water.

My husband's line is as follows: James Morris Sharp> Joseph C. Sharp>James Bridges Sharp>Joseph Sharp (b. 1891 Jackson County, Arkansas)>Ralph Monroe Sharp (living). There is a rumor on one side of this family that James Bridges Sharp died in 1882. However, he is listed in a lawsuit in 1893 in Madison County, Tennessee, and he and his wife Feny sold their interest in a piece of property in Swifton, Jackson County, Arkansas, in 1894.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jofloyd 27 Aug 2003 5:10PM GMT 
Kaye Wykoff 1 Sep 2003 9:27PM GMT 
Jofloyd 1 Sep 2003 11:30PM GMT 
kwykoff01 1 Sep 2003 11:44PM GMT 
Faye Reynolds 5 Jul 2005 5:07PM GMT 
Kaye Wykoff 5 Jul 2005 10:48PM GMT 
Faye Reynolds 6 Jul 2005 1:00PM GMT 
Kaye Wykoff 6 Jul 2005 4:15PM GMT 
484bob 4 Feb 2014 8:01PM GMT 
kwykoff01 27 Feb 2014 3:21AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions