Search for content in message boards

John Alexander of Eredy link to Sir William Alexander of Menstrey

Replies: 6

John Alexander of Eredy link to Sir William Alexander of Menstrey

Sonya Manderson (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2006 2:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have just spent most of the last several days reading everything I could find on the connection of the "infamous 9" of Cecil County, MD back through Raphoe, Donegal, Ireland and back to Sterling, Menstrey, Scotland and, frankly, my head is spinning!

Although not proven (that I could find), it seems that the train of thought that the 7 brothers and 2 sisters were the children of William (married Anne Liston) who was the son of John seems to make a lot of sense.

I have also seen suggested that John Alexander was the son of Sir William Alexander, Earl of Sterling and also that he couldn't be that son because Sir William's son John died in 1641 shortly after being released from debtors prison.

OK - now for the reason for my post. I just came across a list of the land grants for the "Plantation of Ulster" barony of Raphoe and county of Donegal. ( http://members.aol.com.lochlan2/donegal2.htm ) The often quoted lease, in 1608, of Eredy from Sir James Cunningham to John Alexander is there. But the very next entry is the sale of 2000 acres by Sir James Cunningham to Sir William Alexander of Menstrey on 26 Feb 1616. I don't know but it seems to me that somehow this suggests a connection between the two Alexanders.

Any thoughts or comments are very welcome.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Sonya Manderson 13 Apr 2006 8:51PM GMT 
mjhardy101 24 Jun 2006 8:11PM GMT 
HelenSmith150 10 Oct 2011 8:28PM GMT 
kathleenlamb9... 18 Jul 2013 11:50PM GMT 
RogAlexander 19 Jul 2013 10:50PM GMT 
IsabelleAlexa... 23 Oct 2011 7:10PM GMT 
IsabelleAlexa... 28 Jul 2013 7:06PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic