Search for content in message boards

Elizabeth Alexander abt 1835 Blackheath Kent England

Replies: 0

Elizabeth Alexander abt 1835 Blackheath Kent England

Posted: 30 Dec 2013 6:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Alexander; Mills; Shearman; Andrews; Gwathmey
I have been searching for links to the above person for several years and have researched hundreds of Alexander family trees in an effort to pin her down. Elizabeth was born in about 1835 in Blackheath, Kent, which is now part of London. She had a long-term relationship with a man, whom she named Alfred Andrews, who was 'unhappily married elsewhere', and by him had four daughters: Louisa Andrews (abt 1857), Sarah Andrews (my great-grandmother, born 2 Apr 1865), Ada Catherina Rowlands Andrews (born 21 Dec 1869) and Laura Andrews (born abt 1870). Alfred died sometime after 1870 and because she was a 'kept' woman, Elizabeth Andrews lost everything and her family split up. I have no idea of her parents' names, although I do know that she had two maternal aunts: Elizabeth Alexander, born in about 1801 either at sea or in Frome, Somerset, and Eleanor Alexander, born in abt 1799 (no idea where but not Middlesex). Elizabeth senior married Aaron aka William Mills of Snodland, Kent, in 1837; her sister Eleanor married John Thomas William Shearman in 1826. Both families lived in Claremont Row, Islington, London, in 1841, but unfortunately, both Eleanor and her husband died shortly afterwards. They had twins, Elizabeth and William, born in 1827, but only Elizabeth seems to have survived and I lose her after the 1851 census when she was living with her uncle and aunt William & Elizabeth Mills in Lewisham (also Kent and also now part of London). Descendants of this family were globetrotters (Ada Andrews emigrated to Chicago; many of the Mills family ended up in Central and South America, and one of them married into the famous Gwathmey family of Louisville, Kentucky. I would be grateful for any information, links or suggestions. Thank you.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions