Search for content in message boards

Alexander Family: John (abt 1693/1700-1777)

Replies: 0

Alexander Family: John (abt 1693/1700-1777)

Posted: 29 Jul 2014 12:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Alexander, Glasson/Gleason, Polk
Hello,

I am trying to put together a puzzle here. I have James Alexander (1726-1791) son of John Alexander (abt 1693-1777) and Margaret Glasson/Gleason (1704-1777). I am having issues with John's father. Some notations I have seen have his father as Thomas (1630-1708), which would have made him 60+ at the time of John's birth. Others have John as the son of William (1676-1749), and his GRANDfather as Thomas (1630-1708), son of Archibald (1610-1689), son of Alexander (abt 1584).

There is a story I found, though none of it has been verified:
John Alexander (1693-1777) emigrated first to County of Armagh, Ireland (father was from Scotland). After residing there a few years, he came to America in 1736. He brought with him his wife, Margaret (1704-1777); his 3 sons Hugh, James and John; his daughters Rachel and Margaret; two nephews, Hugh and James (sons of ?); and his niece (?) (daughter of ?) who married a Mr. Polk of Ireland. They made their first settlement in West Nottingham, Chester Co., Pa. After residing a few years in Chester, Pa., the nephews James and Hugh Alexander, with Mr. and Mrs. Polk, went to Mecklenburg Co, NC, while John and his son John and two daughters went to Carlisle, Pa and after that to Chambersburg in Franklin Co, Pa. It was there that he and his wife Margaret were supposed to have died during the time of the Revolution, leaving his plantation to his son John, who was charged with the care of his unmarried sister Margaret. In the "An Illustrated History of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania..." written by William H. Egle, M.D., "Between 1736 and 1740 there were early settlements made by the Scotch-Irish who had previously been residing in the lower end of York county." Among them was a John Alexander.

Again, not sure what--if any--is true. If it is, though, it would be quite interesting as I now live in NC. Always thought all of my family stayed up north and that I wouldn't be related to anyone here lol Anyone have any info--either to corroborate or prove wrong--regarding this family?

Can anyone help to clear this up for me, and point me to any relevant resources? I would also like to find more about Margaret's family.

Thank you!

Find a board about a specific topic