Search for content in message boards

John Allen of White Creek in Washington County, New York

Replies: 7

John Allen of White Creek in Washington County, New York

J. Mitchell (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2006 2:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: allen, murray, draper, cross, beardsley, deuel, richards, cornell
In the HISTORY OF WASHINGTON COUNTY, NEW YORK, 1737-1878, Crisfield Johnson reported John Allen as leaving New Bedford and going to White Creek in Washington County just before the Revolution. Johnson did not report the name of John's wife but did list his children, often with the name of the child's spouse and the locality where the child settled: "Of his [John's] children Mary and David died young; Ruth became Mrs. Dr. Elihu Allen; Rhoda, Mrs. Calvin Murray; both these settling in Welleston, Vermont; Elizabeth, Mrs. Nathan Draper, of Shaftsbury; Lyria, Mrs Elihu Cross, of Shaftsbury; Mary, Mrs. Beardsley, of Shaftsbury; Anna, Mrs. Eben Deuel, [my ancestor] of Easton; Sarah, Mrs. Dr. Richards, of White Creek; Christopher settled in White Creek; Gilbert in White Creek; John, the hatter, in White Creek" (Crisfield Johnson, HISTORY OF WASHINGTON COUNTY 1737-1878, reprinted, pp. 455 and 456). Nearly half a page of Allen family history followed this list. I selected a few details:

"John Allen moved by means of a sloop, from New Bedford up the Hudson, and then walked from Lansingburg to White Creek." (Johnson, p. 456)

"Lymon Cross, a son of Elihu Cross, wrote the first total abstinence pledge in this section of the country" (Johnson, p. 456).

William Richards was a doctor in White Creek, a son of Colonel Richards, "a soldier of the Revolution" (Johnson, p. 456). This line is well reported by Johnson.

I am interested in any information about Anna who married Ebenezer Deuel. I believe that she was born about 1764 and died in 1850. My computer says that Anna and Ebenezer were second cousins once removed.

I would also like to have more infromation about the wife of Pioneer John Allen. I think that she was Rhoda, although some sources say that she was Mary Cornell. I am no expert in these convoluted lines, but I think that Mary was probably John's second wife. Apparently Rhoda was daughter of Increase Allen, but my information about her is sketchy. If Rhoda was John's wife and if her father was named Increase Allen, odds are this couple was also related by blood.

Any information much appreciated.

I have the will of Ebenezer Deuel/Duel, Anna's husband, and will share it with anyone who requests it.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
J. Mitchell 29 Jan 2006 9:52PM GMT 
Ccewhite57 5 Jun 2007 8:37PM GMT 
10Mitchell 10 Aug 2007 3:23AM GMT 
carpeng1331 30 Aug 2007 6:26PM GMT 
10Mitchell 30 Aug 2007 8:52PM GMT 
carpeng1331 31 Aug 2007 4:51PM GMT 
jtimleck 17 Mar 2010 7:11AM GMT 
10Mitchell 17 Mar 2010 1:08PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic