Search for content in message boards

Valentine Allen & Mary Page, Essex County, Virginia

Replies: 7

Valentine Allen & Mary Page, Essex County, Virginia

Posted: 24 Aug 2010 2:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Allen, Page, Browne, Dyson, Moss
Hi, all. I've got a mess on my hands and am hoping someone can help me sort it out.

Starting with Valentine ALLEN who married Mary PAGE, daughter of Capt. Thomas PAGE. This is proven by various wills and deeds. In Thomas PAGE's will of 1676 he leaves his daughter Mary PAGE ALLEN and son Valentine ALLEN "all the rest of my estate." He also named his grandson Samuel ALLEN.

In 1689 Mary ALLEN deeded to her daughter Elizabeth BROWN, wife of William BROWN, "451 acres of land being a part of a dividend of land taken up by Mary Allen's father, Thomas Page."

In 1689, Valentine and Mary ALLEN gave some of the land to their daughter Christian: "Valentine Allen and Mary, his wife, grant to her son and daughter Richard and Christian Vison (Dison/Dyson) 451 acres according to a survey of Capt. William Moseley dated 22 Nov 1689, part of the divident of land taken up by her father Thomas Page in a patent dated 3 Apr 1667; Dated 29 Nov 1689. Wit. James Boulware and Francis Slaughter."

Samuel ALLEN, the grandson mentioned in the will of Thomas PAGE, died prior to 10 June 1693, and Christian ALLEN DYSON was sued by her sister: "Wm. Browne and Mary his Wife, Sister and Coheir to Samll. Allen, late of Rappa. Co. decd. Complained against Richard Dyson in a Plea of the
case that Thomas Page late of Co. of Rappa decd did by his last will & Testament in writing bearing date of 10 Mar 1676 give unto his grandchild, Samll Allen, his plantacon & land belonging to it, wch Page formerly lived upon to Allen and his heires forever. The said Dyson being in possession of the land as Marrying Christian younger sister to the said Allen demanded possession of the one half thereof of the sd Dyson and the Browne’s are seeking damage of
4000 lbs tobo and cask for an equal division of the lands. Whereupon the court thought fitt to order Capt. Wm. Moseley surveyor to divide the land into two equall parts and present to the next court and have Dyson pay the costs of the suit."

Here's where my confusion begins. In the above lawsuit, William BROWNE is married to Mary ALLEN, a sister of Christian ALLEN DYSON and Samuel ALLEN, all children of Valentine ALLEN and Mary PAGE. This was in 1693. Now, in 1689 Mary PAGE ALLEN deeded land to her daughter Elizabeth BROWN, wife of William BROWN. Then later in 1693 after the BROWNE/DYSON lawsuit, William BROWNE is married to Elizabeth again! "Whereas William Browne & Richd Dison both of Sittingbourne parish, Essex VA are joyntly possessed of a certaine parcel of land being part of a 600 acres we by joint consent intend to divide the same between us and to the uses of our severall heires. I William Brown give, sell and confirm unto Richard Dison one half land being by joint consent divided between us. I the said William Brown & Elizabeth my wife to agree signed 1 Aug 1693 Wit: Fra: Salughter, John Richie John Lindom."

Richard DYSON reciporicated: Whereas Wm. Browne and Richard Dison both of Essex VA jointly own 600 acres , I
Richard Dison and my heires given unto William Browne ½ of land. I the said Richard Dison & Christian my wife to agree. Signed 1 Aug 1693, Wit: Fra: Slaughter, John Richie, John Lindem. Recorded 10 Aug 1693."

In 1696, William & Elizabeth BROWNE deeded part of Thomas PAGE's land to their daughter Mary LANDRUM: "WILLIAM BROWNE together with Elizabeth my wife of Essex Co., for hearty love and affection do bear unto James Landrum and Mary his Wife, my beloved Daughter, give unto the sd. James Landrum & Mary and their heirs, 100 A. of Land being part of a parcell of Land containing 450 Acres, taken out of a tract of Land containing 3075 acres granted by Patent to Thomas Page, Wm. Hodgson & Samuell Welding and accrewing due unto ye sd. Tho. Page by Survivourship, ye sd 450 Acres being ½ part of what sd Thomas Page left at his decease to his Daughter, ye Wife of Vallentin Allen."

It's been suggested that the Mary ALLEN BROWNE who sued her sister Christian ALLEN DYSON was married to the father of Elizabeth ALLEN BROWNE's husband. This is not to say the younger William married his niece -- his mother was supposedly named Frances MOSS, and Mary ALLEN was a second wife to the elder William.

Does anyone know if Valentine ALLEN and Mary PAGE had a daughter named Mary, or if the lawsuit between the BROWNEs and DYSONs just had William's wife's name wrong? It just seems odd that only Mary would sue Christian, and Elizabeth stayed out of it.

Thank you!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Juli_Morgan 24 Aug 2010 8:46PM GMT 
tunnelm1 26 Aug 2010 12:56PM GMT 
Juli_Morgan 26 Aug 2010 6:29PM GMT 
ygeyoung 20 Jan 2011 11:03PM GMT 
tunnelm1 25 Feb 2011 1:22PM GMT 
tunnelm1 26 Apr 2013 1:47PM GMT 
hlallen1999_1 1 Nov 2010 8:45PM GMT 
medwd4 26 Apr 2012 3:29AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic