Search for content in message boards

Richard Allen Chester SC

Replies: 2

Richard Allen Chester SC

Posted: 8 Sep 2010 1:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Allen, Rogers, Whitehead, Hyatt, Mayfield, Harden, Castles, Cassels, Nabors
I have found an Equity Court case in Chester County while searching for the parents of Emanuel Allen of Spartanburg. I found out the following:

The brothers and sisters listed on the document (alive or dead) were:
Sally Allen, Nancy Nabors, Isaac, Francis, John, Chesley Allen, Barnett Allen, and James Allen.

It appears that the case addresses Elijah, but he is not a plaintiff or a defendant in the suit - he had either willed or gifted his "beloved sister Sally Allen" some land so I'm going to say that he's a brother of the above. I think.

This is written in the order of the pages - I think these are the ones either dead or gone and presumed dead:

John Allen had moved to AL and had not been heard of since.
James had moved from the state - no heirs listed.

Chesley was the father of Emanuel. Chesley moved to either TN or KY about 1815 and took his family except for his son Emanuel, and he had not been heard of since.

Barnett Allen removed to some Western States about 1810 and they have not heard from him since. I think Barnett Sr is the father of Barnett Jr who is listed as a plaintiff.

James Allen removed from the state and has not been heard from since.

Isaac died about 1820 leaving the following children: Richard, Charity, Mary, Barnett, William, Isaac, James and Francis. Mary married Tillman Whitehead and he abandoned her. Francis married Berry Hardin and moved west. Sally Allen married William Rogers and he abandoned her and left the state. Barnett Allen removed to some Western States about 1810 and they have not heard from him since.

Note: The above family has redundant names and I had to go back and forth to make sense - at first I thought I had the same children listed, then figured out that Isaac just continued the Allen tradition by naming most of his kids the same names as his aunts and uncles. Charity was listed as a plaintiff but not as a sister so it made better sense and then there is a Sally Rogers AND a Sally Allen - 2 different ladies.....

Francis married Benjamin Castles (Cassels) and she had died about 1820 and left the following children named: Greenberry Castles, Reuben Castles, Allen Mayfield and his wife Sarah, Cynthia Castles (wife of Francis's son Barnett Castles), and her children Hezekiah Castles, Thomas Castles, Barnett Castles, Jane Castles and Caroline Castles, John Castles, James Castles, Nancy Hyatt, wife of Jacob Hyatt, Martha Raily, wife of Isaiah Railey. Barnett Castles died 1845 and left a will which equally divided among his children.

Nancy Nabors is the first plaintiff and nothing is mentioned about her family. I'm a little confused because it mentions (in this order) Elijah Allen late of the District and State aforementioned was since and posessed of a tract of land containing two hundred or more being a part of a tract granted to Richard Allen containing four hundred acres bordered on the south by lands of Elijah ______ on the west by lands of _____ Randall, in the north by lands of Jacob Carter and in the east by lands of (large blank) lying in Sandy Run and which undivided (?) to the said Elijah Allen by the last will and testament of Richard Allen the father of the said Elijah. A copy of which said last will and testament is herewith filed numbered exhibit A. (didn't get this copy)

So, it looks like Richard is the father of Elijah and the above 8 other plaintiffs and that brother Isaac has living heirs listed that have some of the same names as his aunts and uncles. I hope.

Does anybody have any missing Allens that may be from this line?
c
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Cheryl Willia... 8 Sep 2010 7:23AM GMT 
Ken Waites 30 Jan 2013 7:53AM GMT 
Ken Waites 30 Jan 2013 7:56AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic