Captain Adoniram "Teges" Allen, 1734 NH - 1838 Clay Co., KY

Replies: 11

Captain Adoniram "Teges" Allen, 1734 NH - 1838 Clay Co., KY

Pauline Allen Trabert (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jun 1999 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Feb 2012 12:57PM GMT
Surnames: Allen, Morris, Bennett
In looking for my 6th great-grandfather, Revolutionary War Captain Adoniram "Teges" Allen (alleged to be born in NH near the VT line in 1734, d. 1838 in Clay County, KY), I have found the following 12 spelling variations in different documents and narratives: Adoniram, Admirian, Adnarim, Adnoriam, Adonirum, Adroniram, Adnerum, Adnurun, Adoneram, Adoruam, Anirom, and Adanirom. I'm sure I'll see more. I have also found 3 likely derivitives: Adron, Niram, and Nirom. Again, I'm sure there are more. It appears that Adoniram "Teges" Allen (Sr.) was illiterate, although certainly well traveled and industrious. I'm still searching for a signature in lieu of his mark.

Adoniram's father is thought to be David Allen, b. 1714 in New England somewhere. They served together during the Revolutionary War along with David Allen ,Jr., Adoniram's brother, b. 1761 in Elizabethtown, NJ. David Allen (Sr.) was in NC in 1767 and Adoniram was there in 1771 according to tax records. Adoniram left the service of his country as a Captain after serving in the SC Partisan Rangers. All three fought together at The Battle of Moores Creek Bridge and The Battle of Kings Mountain, according to the pension file of David Allen, Jr., and other documentation.

There are confusing documents mentioning Adoniram Allen, or a variation close to that name, that could be one of several Adoniram Allens as the date or place is unclear. The son of "Teges", Adoniram Allen #2 (b. January 15, 1782) stayed in Yancey Co., NC when Adoniram Sr. and the rest of his family traveled to Wilkes Co., Georgia around 1790-1791. Adoniram Sr. went to Augusta and then to Sparta to build iron works. His name appears in the tax records of 1791 in Wilkes Co., GA and in the 1794 tax records of Sparta,Hancock Co., GA. He was certified as a resident of Hancock Co. GA in the 1805 Land Lottery of Georgia in which he was awarded two draws but failed to pay the required fee and forfeited a 490 acre grant.

Adoniram Allen left Georgia sometime in 1805 and was in Kentucky in 1806. He returned to KY with his family in 1807, at the age of 73 with these children: William (1774), Phoebe (abt. 1775), John (1787), Allie (abt. 1790), and Morris (1794) were the children with him. His wife (thought to be Patty Morris or Elizabeth Morris) is not mentioned in anything I have found thus far. William was married at this time, all the others were married in Clay Co., KY. In 1807 Adoniram Allen applied for a permit to build a water-powered saw and grist mill in the south forks of the Kentucky River. William Allen and his father, Adoniram "Teges", served on the first grand jury in Clay Co., KY in 1807.

I'm seeking any information that could help me identify this Allen line's origin. Are there any NH Allen lines reading the board that could help me out? NH near the VT line, 1714 birthdate for David Allen, 1734 birthdate for Adoniram (or similar spelling) Allen. Any women (Bennett??)in this area marrying a David Allen prior to 1734 that could be the mother of Captain Adoniram "Teges" Allen? Church records in NH? What was there in the 1720's and 1730's? Any churches common to the Allen families in NH at that time? Are there any maps of NH and VT that date back to the early 18th century that are online or otherwise available? I need help from someone who knows the area and it's history. Any book recommendations or document source suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks for any help or reasonable direction anyone can provide.

I am aware of another Adoniram Allen b. 1714 in, I believe, NJ. I have no proof, but I think there may be a connection with my line and this line based on the names common to both families, time frames, and vicinity. Further information on any Adoniram Allen born prior to 1735 anywhere in New England would be very appreciated.

Pauline Allen Trabert
New Berlin, WI

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Pauline Allen Trabert 15 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Ruth Flanders 4 Dec 2001 1:09AM GMT 
Anita8 30 Mar 2012 5:40PM GMT 
David46701 13 Feb 2011 2:53AM GMT 
kpeck1_1 11 Aug 2011 6:40PM GMT 
Anita8 1 Jan 2012 5:51PM GMT 
FamilyRchr 17 Feb 2012 9:48PM GMT 
Anita8 30 Mar 2012 1:04AM GMT 
FamilyRchr 30 Mar 2012 12:17PM GMT