Search for content in message boards

Allen -North Carolina, Henry, Wm, etc

Replies: 14

Re: Allen -North Carolina, Henry, Wm, etc

Posted: 23 May 2009 9:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Allen, Horne, Spurlin, Waldrop
My husband's ancestor is Gideon A. Allen b. 22 Apr 1804 in NC, d. 24 Apr 1875 in Plain Dealing, Bossier, Louisiana. He married Mary Ann Dixon Horne b. 20 Nov 1807 in Marion, Twiggs, Georgia. They were married in 1827 in Twiggs, Ga.

The records from my husband's grandmother's and great-grandmother's bibles and other family papers and notes show Gideon's father as William Green Allen b. 1774 in Virginia and his mother as Chokonioka (sp?) b. 1885 of the Dancing Rabbit Clan, Choctaw Indians. Chokonioka may have used the name Mary or Molly when she was in NC and GA. Gideon had an older brother named Green Allen b. 1800 in NC. I do not have information on other children.

Family oral history says that William G Allen became a "frontiersman" in NC and Georgia in his teens. He traveled as far as Mississippi before semi-settling down back in GA. He later spent years traveling back and forth between NC, GA and the then receding Mississippi frontier bringing supplies and settlers to the Mississippi frontier lands that were being turned over to the incoming settlers.

Supposedly William and Chokonioka, who may have been half-white herself (possibly with a French father), traveled together with their family on these trips. Gideon and Green supposedly lived as as white men in NC and GA and as Choctaw Indians when they were in Mississippi.

There are land transactions for both William and Gideon in GA and Mississippi, so they must have spent months at a time farming in both states between these trips.

There are also handwritten letters included in these family papers from the sons and daughters of Gideon and Mary Ann Allen written when these offspring were in Louisiana and Arkansas. These letters question whether they should take the government's money and land offered in accordance with the Indian Removal and move to the lands set aside for Indians in Oklahoma. One of the issues was that they would have had to pay $40.00 to register as Indians first, and provide the names of other Indians who would vouch for them. The letters say that providing the names to vouch for them was not a problem, but they evidently had to travel and appear in person to register and pay the $40.00, and the issue was whether all that was worth getting the money and the unknown land. Eventually, most of Gideon's sons and daughters, and grandchildren, did not do so - but eventually moved to others parts of Louisiana, Arkansas, and Texas instead. Some eventually did move to Oklahoma, but not on Indian lands.

Gideon's daughter, Mary Amanda Allen b. 16 May 1837 in GA, married Alford J. Spurlin b. 5 Mar 1828 in Alabama. They married in 1853 in Bossier Co., Louisiana.

Their daughter Mary Malinda Spurlin b. 3 July 1855 in Louisiana married Harrison Meredith Waldrop b. 18 Jun 1850 in Taledega, Alabama. They were married in 1871 in Bossier Co., Louisiana.

Their daughter was Mittie Lenora Waldrop b. 8 Oct 1887 in Sherman, Texas - my husband's grandmother. She died in 1969. He and his siblings remember her very well.

This information is in my tree on ancestry. Searching on Mittie Lenora Waldrop should bring up my tree.

Marianne Manley Granoff
Albuquerque, NM
granoff@zianet.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Patricia Vestal 21 Mar 2003 4:49PM GMT 
Cary Allen 22 Mar 2003 4:31PM GMT 
allenraisednc 21 May 2009 1:18AM GMT 
Cary Allen 22 May 2009 1:35PM GMT 
Marianne_Gran... 23 May 2009 3:39PM GMT 
rebrinsonmd 22 May 2009 4:13PM GMT 
danielgrimsle... 20 Jun 2009 7:26PM GMT 
dgse70 25 May 2013 2:31AM GMT