Search for content in message boards

Emanuel Allensworth -- Father Philip or Simon?

Replies: 2

Emanuel Allensworth -- Father Philip or Simon?

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 9:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Everything I have seen published about on the Internet and in John E. Allensworth's monograph have Philip and Catherine as parents of Emanuel Allensworth. Yet, the record of marriages in Virginia shows that a marriage bond was posted when Emanuel (Amanuel) married Catherine (Kitty) Black of Maryland by Emanuel's parents who are listed as Simon and Catherine Allensworth. I have not seen any original source documents from the time showing Philip is Emanual's father. If anyone has that, please let me know.

Further, looking at the 1810 Census for Frederick Co, VA -- when Emanuel would have been 30, married and in either PA or en route to Ohio, the Allensworths listed are: Reuben, Simon, Catherine, John and Philip. Catherine is a head of household and is given as over 45 -- more than likely she was a widow and over 60. She could be Philips widow, or Simon's widow; there is no way of knowing. Reuben, Simon and Philip are in the 26-45 age category, which is where Emanuel would be if he stayed local. The inference I make is that these are brothers. John Allensworth is listed in the over 45 bracket. I'm thinking that he is Catherine's brother-in-law, that is to say, her deceased (apparently) husband's brother. He has more slaves than anyone (17) vs. Catherine's 2 and Simon's 0. If Simon is not Catherine's husband, and she really is Phillips widow, why is Philip not given as father on the marriage bond, and if he is gone already, why didn't the weathly uncle John sign the note. Instead it goes to Simon who appears, based on number of servants, to be the least prosperous of the bunch.

Emanuel is my 4th grandfather through his son Lewis.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sbsnyder139 19 Mar 2010 3:41AM GMT 
sbsnyder139 20 Mar 2010 7:35PM GMT 
Pacejan6 12 May 2010 2:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions