Search for content in message boards

Jacob Ammons

Replies: 27

Re: Jacob Ammons

Posted: 9 Mar 2009 5:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Good questions Candy. There is lots of disagreement and very little evidence when we get back that far on my Ammons lines. Send me your email and I will send you all I have. Now my line is John Ammons who I believe came from Germany, not Jacob Ammons.

A lot of my information comes from online posts. If you look for John Thomas Ammons, born 1705 on the world connect project at:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

You will find 4 entries. One is from a cousin of mine Don Wall. His email contact information can be found there. My family ties into the Ammons family through Margaret Louise Ammons who married Athea Allen Wall in 1873. That is where the Wall and Ammons lines intersect (at least for me).

All 4 entries at rootsweb probably come from a single original source. They all hold that John George Ammons was born in 1705 in Weurttemburg Germany and that he was married to Rosina. They list the same 8 children for John and Rosina. Those children are: Francis Ammons (born 1739 in Sterenfels, Wuerttemburg, Germany), Jacob Ammons (born 1740 in Sterenfels, Wuerttemburg, Germany), Daniel Ammons (born about 1740 in Sterenfels, Wuerttemburg, Germany), Jesse Ammons (born 1742 in Sterenfels, Wuerttemburg, Germany), Christian Ammons (born August 28, 1743 in Sterenfels, Wuerttemburg, Germany), John Thomas Ammons (born 1748 in VA), Joshua Ammons (born Jan 22, 1756 in Brunswick County Virginia), and Luther Ammons (born 1757). This is Don Wall’s list.

From this information, it appears that the Ammons family emigrated from Germany to Virginia sometime between Christian’s birth in 1743 and John Thomas’ birth in 1748.

Don is the only of the four posters to place John Thomas Ammons birth in Virginia. The other three posters all put his birth at Donegal, Westmoreland County Pennsylvania. I believe the Pennsylvania connection to be correct but the only source I can find is the rootsweb GEDCOM posted by Michael Canary.

The line firms up with John Thomas Ammons who left a will in SC in 1817 (as Thomas Ammons) and his brother Joshua Ammons who left a lot of records in SC.

Now the Jacob Ammons line is different. There is a Jacob Ammons who arrived in Philadelphia on the “Thistle” August 29, 1730. I believe that this is a Scots-Irish line not a German line and has not blood connection to mine. But, there are some hints that they might have been from Switzerland before Scotland and that the lines may tie in further back than we now know.

There are internet posts and information that link these families several ways and there are several opinions out there. The work of Jon Gary Dean connects these two families making John Thomas Ammons the son of Jacob Ammons. I believe this to be in error, but it has been copied and posted many times.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Greg Klima 8 Feb 2009 12:31PM GMT 
Candy Ammons 8 Feb 2009 7:17PM GMT 
Candy Ammons 8 Feb 2009 9:32PM GMT 
Candy Ammons 9 Mar 2009 12:48AM GMT 
Greg Klima 9 Mar 2009 11:31AM GMT 
Candy Ammons 10 Mar 2009 8:40PM GMT 
Candy Ammons 10 Mar 2009 8:50PM GMT 
rlbatty 11 Mar 2009 6:06PM GMT 
mountainsprin... 13 Mar 2009 3:36AM GMT 
Brucetaco 8 Feb 2010 2:50PM GMT 
per page