James Anderson vs James C Anderson -- Cumberland Co, KY

Replies: 0

James Anderson vs James C Anderson -- Cumberland Co, KY

Posted: 18 Mar 2008 2:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Anderson, Cozzart
James Anderson Vs James C. Anderson
(Summary Version)

There has long been confusion separating out the half dozen or so Anderson clans in early Cumberland County, Kentucky. This message focuses on two early families both headed by males with given names of James. To further confuse the issue, both families started out in early Cumberland County, but one family headed by James C Anderson (husband of Johnnie Freelove Cozzart) ended up in Clinton County after it was created out of Cumberland in 1836.

Incorrect conclusions made by early researchers have been perpetuated as others (myself included) have taken their research accuracy for granted. These early errors or incorrect conclusions resulted in many family trees of later Anderson family seekers ending up with the wrong Anderson ancestor.

Of particular note, is that many have listed Thomas Jefferson Anderson as the son of James C. Anderson (husband of Johnnie Freelove Cozzart) who ended up in Clinton County. It turns out more recent analysis clearly shows that Thomas Jefferson Anderson was NOT the son of James C. Anderson, but is instead the son of James Anderson of Cumberland County.

An analysis conducted by Joyce Stover, noted Genealogy researcher and author, provided a clear and convincing differentiation between these two Anderson clans. She used census records, census precincts and family history as well as a key land transaction document found and posted by Debbie Bowlin Smothers. Joyce clearly points out that Thomas Jefferson Anderson could NOT have been a descendant of James C. Anderson (husband of Johnnie Freelove Cozzart), but was instead a son of James Anderson (Sulpher Creek, Cumberland, KY).

Since I had initially concluded that James C Anderson was my ancestor, Joyce Stover's conclusion was clearly eye catching and significant. So I decided to conduct my own analysis using land grant information.

The land document lists Thomas Jefferson Anderson, William Anderson, Jesse Anderson, Wilson Anderson, among others. So my effort was to see if I could correlate the land described in the land transaction document with that of land grants made to James Anderson and James C. Anderson.

The land transaction document is a key data point as it lists all the children of this James Anderson, but unfortunately the document itself does not specify where the land described therein was located. James Anderson had an 1848 land grant using the watercourse of Sulpher Creek as the landmark. James C Anderson had land granted in Spring, Bear, Whetstone and IllWill Creek areas.

I was fortunate to discover birth records that specified the birth location of two of the individuals listed in the Land transaction document of a James Anderson. Birth records of two of the individuals (Jesse and Wilson) listed in the land document specify they were born in the Sulpher Creek area which makes it clear they and others listed in the land document are children of James Anderson (Sulpher Creek, Cumberland County) and not of James C. Anderson (IllWill Creek, Clinton County).

So the analysis conducted by Joyce Stover and my separate land grant analysis both clearly support the conclusion that Thomas Jefferson Anderson as well as a number of other Anderson patriarchs of Cumberland County were indeed children of the Sulpher Creek James Anderson and NOT that of the IllWill Creek James C. Anderson.

Since this conclusion is clearly at odds with that of earlier researchers it should provide convincing evidence and I blieve that it does. Should anyone want the more detailed version of my Land grant analysis – please contact me at:

eanderson@carolina.rr.com.

Joyce Stover’s analysis is copyrighted so I am not able to post it. Please contact her for a copy.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions