Search for content in message boards

Araujo Name and meaning and how to say.

Replies: 5

Araujo Name and meaning and how to say.

Brendy Martinez (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2004 1:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Araujo
OK this is a bit different but I have been searching for the Araujo name different ways of spelling since it was always mispelled on documents, making you wonder what is the correct way to say and spell.

I have been told that there are different ways to say ARAUJO
one which sounds like A-roosh..(this is the best I can do).This way is more the Spanish/Portugese way. Than there is the Mexican-spanish way which I was told A-ra-ho.
My father says that my grandmother and her sister told him it was A-roosh in our family. Others disagreed knowing the family was not Portugese descendant, the family says it was a basque name. So that made things difficult. So I have done research for a long time on where the name came from. When I went to a Basque dinner I had the opportunity to look in the Basque-English Dictionary and there it was Araujo. Meaning a Valley of Ferns or Surname from Araba Basque/Spain. So Here I am today looking at all the spellings of this name some mispelled by the accent of the person.... here we go. Araujo/Arauxo/Arauno/Aurajo/Arajo/Arogha. This is as far I want to go. lol.. keep that in mind that there are ways to enter into search engines for Araujo. We have found this a helpful thing. Especially in the Census.

I went on a Basque page from bupers basque internet site and he showed this name that sounded like A-roosh it was spelled Araoz. Intresting to me that this names meaning was also valley of ferns from Araba. So I have discovered that they also had more than one way of spelling the word Araujo. here are what they had for different spellings... Arajuz/Aranotz/Araos/Araoz/Araus/Araux/Aracez
looking at familysearch.org it showed that most of france liked to use the one with Araux and the Basques showed more records for Araus. They also showed that this name went farthest back in records to 1300's. They said that people migrated from Spain to Chile, Argentina, Cuba, philipeanes all the Islands, Central America. Familysearch showed all over the Country with all these names. The first I found was a man named Juan Araujo from Castille, Spain to the gulf of Mexico going north to discover New Mexico in the US. There is more on him in a site called Mexico genealogy.
Now there was a time about the Sephardic-(spelling) Jewish descendants that were forced to come to South and Central America. I cannot remeber but they had a listing of names. This guy explains some would have biblical names like Abraham etc. I saw one in the California census, Zephriam Araujo. This man could most likely be a sephardic descendant.

But as I hear from many families that is from our lineage.
I am assuming our Migration Pattern would look like this Northern Spain (Basque)-France-Chile-Mexico-California.
For some who don't know there is a little town in Mexico West from Ouxaca called Araujo. Not sure if it was from the guy named Juan Araujo from Castille Spain on a boat.
Well I hope this became intresting. I still have more searching to do. Thank you Brendy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Brendy Martinez 4 Oct 2004 7:25AM GMT 
marizaraux 27 Jan 2011 6:10PM GMT 
brendymartine... 27 Jan 2011 8:57PM GMT 
brendymartine... 27 Jan 2011 9:00PM GMT 
descobar75 2 Aug 2012 12:03AM GMT 
RubyDragn11 3 Aug 2012 4:37AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions