Search for content in message boards

The parents of Joseph H. Arnett

Replies: 4

The parents of Joseph H. Arnett

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 7:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Arnett
Joseph H. Arnett was born around 1816 but who was his parents. Allot of people have attached him to the John and Rebecca (Comer) Arnett. This older John died in 1837 Morgan Co, IL a few years after moving there from Overton Tenn. Joseph's marriage record does mention his father John Arnett but what people don't realize there were two John Arnetts living in Morgan Co at the time of Joseph Arnett's marriage to Hanna Inman in 1835. The 1835 IL state census has the older John Arnett b. around 1766 and there was a younger John Arnett born around 1791. Both are possible parents to Joseph. It is my belief that the younger John Arnett (whose middle name was Wesley) is Joseph's father. One piece of evidence is the fact that the older John Arnett, who died in 1837, probate record does not mention a son Joseph who soon after his marriage moved out of Morgan Co. IL. It does mention other children, those living in Morgan and Maucoupin Counties and elsewhere. Why not Joseph? Also Joseph's movement's after his marrage follows the younger John wesley Arnett who moved to Pike Co., IL between 1835 and 1840. John Wesley went on to move out of Pike Co. IL about the mid 1850s to Arkansas where he died in 1859. This Arnett family did not stay long in Arkansas but moved to Allen Co., KS by 1860. John Wesley Arnett's wife Elizabeth died in Iola, Allen Co, Ks in 1863. Here in Allen Co., KS is where Joseph's Widow would later move with several of her sons as seen in the census record. Hanna would eventually move back to Pike Co. IL with her other children still living there but some of her children and grandchildren did stay in Allen Co. KS.. Although not real proof but it should also be noted the names of Joseph's first two children John Wesley Arnett and Elizabeth Ann Arnett (the names of the younger John and his wife).
I have been researching my ancestor John Wesley Arnett (1791-1859) and his wife Elizabeth Hayes (1793-1863) for a number of years. I believe the Arnetts of Pike Co. IL and later Allen Co., KS are mostly descendants of John Wesley Arnett. I am looking for someone who may of some kind of documentation that will help prove or disprove my theory. the 1835 IL census shows there are 2 John Arnett, thus two possible fathers of Joseph H. Arnett. Just looking for answers.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
juliannabelle 30 Sep 2012 1:28AM GMT 
dearnett32 29 Oct 2013 9:55PM GMT 
juliannabelle 30 Oct 2013 4:08PM GMT 
dearnett32 30 Oct 2013 9:04PM GMT 
juliannabelle 30 Oct 2013 9:14PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic