Search for content in message boards

Owners of Dictionnaire familles Arsenault - 2000

Replies: 0

Owners of Dictionnaire familles Arsenault - 2000

Posted: 16 Mar 2007 9:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello owners of the Dictionnaire généalogique des familles Arsenault by Denis J. Savard, 2000. To my knowledge, the subject dictionary (766 pages - small print) is the best to date if your searching information concerning the Arsenault(eau, eault, Arcenaux, etc.). This family (my mother maiden name) is lucky to have a dictionary with so much information; many families don’t have one yet.

I wished however this dictionary had an index of the spouses. The book has no index of any kind. The heads of families are listed by alphabetical order, beginning with Aaron Arcenaux and finishing with Zoel Arsenault.

I was on holiday in Florida for 5 weeks and decided to type the index on my wife portable (approx. two hours per day). It went very well (actually much faster than expected – I had previously planned to ask help on this forum). The index is now completed.

I have typed a 60 pages index of the spouse of the head of families using Microsoft Word, three columns per page with 50 names per column or 150 per page - total 9000 names (spouses by alphabetic order). The size of the file is 1,012 KB. See example below:
Blanchard Julie 241
It means that you will find Julie Blanchard on page 241; then you will see there who the husband is (Arsenault) and also children if listed in the book. This index is useful if you have the name of the spouse but are not too sure of the first name of the husband (Louis-Joseph or Joseph-Louis Arsenault(eau, eault, Arcenaux, etc.)). You also obviously need the book to use this index as it is just a list of names referring to pages in the book.

The subject index comprises only the spouses (or mother) of the heads of families since they were the easiest to find (in bold, one or two lines after the head of family and the small heart (meaning marriage). This index that I just completed does not comprise the Arsenault daughters married with another family. It would not help me for example to find my mother (Flore Arsenault), unless I know my grandmother maiden name. This type of index could be done (and should be done) but would be an overwhelming task. Please let me know if anyone wants to tackle that one.

I will send the index to those interested in having it (free) if you contact me directly. Please put Arsenault(or eau, etc.) in the subject line of your e-mail for easier reference. Again, if you do not have the book, this index would not be useful. Also please note that I do not know the author of the book (Mr. Savard) and I am not acting on his behalf.

Note: N’hésitez pas à communiquer avec moi en français si vous le désirez.

Charles Bergeron

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions