Search for content in message boards

Anna Acheson McClain Bain wife of Samuel Bain

Replies: 0

Anna Acheson McClain Bain wife of Samuel Bain

Posted: 7 Sep 2010 1:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ACHESON, STEEN, McCLAIN, BAIN, HOOD
I am trying to trace Anna ACHESON who was born about 1816 in Shenango Twp., Crawford Co., PA, a daughter of Mathew ACHESON and Sally STEEN. On Jan 1, 1838 Anna married Charles McCLAIN in Trumbull Co., Ohio.

The 1850 Census lists Charles as a lawyer, which I think is an error, living in West Lackawannock, Mercer Co., PA with Anna and their 4 daughters Olive 9, Minerva 6, Lorane 4, and Lorian 2.

The 1856 Iowa Census says the family has been in Iowa 1 year and Charles and Anna are living in Albia, Monroe Co. with Olive T. 15, Minerva 19, Laurena M. 10; Laura A. 7, and Florence E. 4. The 1860 Census has the family still in Albia, IA Charles and Anna, Minerva 15, Lorain 13, Lucy 11, Esther 8, all children born in PA.

There are burial records in Oakview Cemetery in Albia for Mary J. and Olive P. McClain, daughters of C. and A. in 1856 and 1852.

I cannot find any further census records for this family nor any marriage records for any of the daughters. Charles McCLAIN enlists Oct 6, 1861 in Co. I, 8th Iowa Regt. At age 44 and is killed 06 Apr 1862 at the Battle of Shiloh, TN.

There is a marriage record in Monroe Co. Iowa, Marriage Book 2, p. 204 Oct. 4, 1866 for BAIN, Samuel and LANE, Mrs. Anna Mc

There is a Civil War pension index record under McClain, Charles:
Widow McCLAIN, Anna Date of Filing: 1863 Sept 11 Widow: Appl. #32807 Certificate # 31672
Minor: BAIN, Samuel (Gdn) " " : 1869 Sep 17 Minor: Appl. #179762 Cert. # 142002
Service: Co. I, 8th Iowa Inf. There is no state listed in the filing.
I don’t know why it says “Minor” but after finding the marriage record I think Samuel Bain filed as the Guardian of the widow Anna McClain. Is this possible?

In 1870 and 1880 Samuel BAIN and Anna Bain are in Monmouth, Warren Co. Illinois. In 1870 Lora McLANE 21, born in PA is living with them along with John Burns 27 also born in PA. This appears to be the Samuel BAIN born about 1799 in North Carolina and married first to Jane HOOD. As far as I can tell Samuel was in Indiana and Anna was in Iowa until their marriage.

Other family trees list the death of Samuel Bain in 1886 in Warren Co., IL. I can find no record on the death of Anna Bain nor any other records on Lora McClain.

I have not found any marriage record for this Lora McLane/McClain and I can find no other descendants of this branch of my McClain family.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where else I should look for records for these women?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions for finding death or burial records for either of these women.
Nancy Smith

Find a board about a specific topic