Search for content in message boards

Children of Ezekial Baird and Susannah Blodgett Baird

Replies: 41

Re: Children of Ezekial Baird and Susannah Blodgett Baird

Posted: 15 Oct 2008 8:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, Cousin, I'm so glad you responded. We are definitely working on the same family.

The names and generations are so confusing because an old Scottish tradition required that people name their sons and daughters after specific relatives. Thus, if a "Bedent" had five sons, each son would be required to name his own son "Bedent". These five next generation first cousins would all be in the same time period and possibly in the same local. It makes research a nightmare!!

Your Bedent had an uncle Bedent. But that uncle had several siblings who also used the name Bedent for their children because it was the maiden name of their mother or grandmother. That original Bedent also had an Uncle Zebulon so the nightmare of re-using names continued.

While your Bedent was born in Valle Crucis, Watauga County, some cousins of his, also named Bedent and Zebulon, moved into the Ashville area and established that town. Bairds from the original line which started 4 generations earlier in New Jersey began to settle all over the newly developing states in the South and the Ohio Valley.

My records also have six sons and a daughter for your Bedent. Possibly some smaller children died, or, more likely, some of the cousins migrating from the North might have lived with the family for a while.

I don't know what you have from earlier generations, but if you are interested, I can share more and send you to some sites that also have much on your line. Are you aware there is a Baird family DNA project which is helping to unwind many of the twisted and erroneously researched Baird lines?

If you'd like to contact me for more info, write to me at dradree@aol.com.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
AnnetteBaird 28 Sep 2007 6:58AM GMT 
tlharman1 15 Oct 2008 1:24PM GMT 
AnnetteBaird 16 Oct 2008 2:50AM GMT 
lybjdb4 16 Feb 2009 2:04PM GMT 
tlharman1 16 Feb 2009 5:32PM GMT 
lybjdb4 18 Feb 2009 5:46PM GMT 
tlharman1 18 Feb 2009 10:10PM GMT 
tlharman1 19 Feb 2009 11:35PM GMT 
lybjdb4 20 Feb 2009 2:11AM GMT 
tlharman1 20 Feb 2009 10:59AM GMT 
per page